Part 1: The news

Katie's POV:

 Tears and rain rolled down my face as I held my boyfriend's dead body in my arms. I was covered in blood in an alley where a man shot my boyfriend, Mason, after he had already given him everything he had. I sat there in shock while looking at Mason's face. I looked up and the man in black pointed the gun one more time and shot. He shot my torso and the next thing I know I was in the hospital.

I look at my mom, "John! She is awake!"

My dad runs into the room from a coffee machine, "Hi sweetie, how do you feel? Do you need me to get you something? Do you need anything?"

I looked at my dad confused, "What are you doing here?"

"Your mom called saying you had been shot and so I jumped in the car and went to the airport and now I am here." He said while holding one hand on one side of the bed and my mom holding the other on the other side of the bed.

My parents split up a couple years ago and he moved to Washington from New York, so it was just my mom and her boyfriend.

"Mason, where is Mason?!" I looked at my mom.

She shook her head. My eyes started watering and then it all became blurry as I cried.

Two weeks had past and my dad was still staying in the guest room, about to leave in a week. I rarely ever left my room.

I heard a knock on the door and my mom entered the room and sat on the edge of my bed, "Honey... I have something to talk to you about. You are going to live with your dad for the rest of school."

"Mom I can't, It's my senior year and it's the end of the first semester, it wouldn't make any sense." I explained.

"Sweetie... this will be good for you. you really need this. you need a clean, fresh start. It will help you forget." She said with her hand on my shoulder.

"Forget what? Forget Mason? Forget him being killed? Forget that I was shot? No, I never want to forget him and I have a scar on my stomach that will never let me forget." My eyes were tearing up.

"Honey I didn't mean it like.." I cut her off in the middle of her sentence.

"No... no mom, just please leave my room" she stood up and walked over to the door and opened it.

She looked back, "you and your dad leave to go to Washington after the memorial" then shut the door.

I walked over to my closet and opened it where I grabbed my box of photos of Mason and I and other stuff. I brought the box over to my bed and opened it and dumped it out all over my bed. I started to look through it then heard the door bell ring. I started walking down the stairs and saw my mom open the front door.

"Hello, I am officer Burton and I am on the case to find who shot your daughter and her boyfriend. We may have found who shot your daughter but we need her to come down to the station to identify him because she is the only one who could have seen his face." The officer said.

"I am sorry but I don't really think she is up to do that, her boyfriend was just shot and killed by that man... why would she want to see him ever again." My mom said while trying to shut the door.

"Wait..." I blurted out from the stairs, "do you really think it could be him?"

Officer Burton looked at me, "It very well could be him."

"I'll go in.." I said.

"Katie you don't have to do that" my mother said.

"I need to know if the man they have is the man that killed Mason and if it is maybe this will be my closure. I don't want this man to kill anyone else. " I said.

My mom walked over to me, "are you sure?"

"Yes" I replied, "Let me go get dressed."

"Okay I will drive you down to the station sweetie" my mom said.

We arrived at the station and I got out of the car and stood there for a second. This could be it, this could be the day the man that killed Mason could be put away for good.

I walked in and Officer Burton lead me back into a room where I sat looking through clear glass where I see a man, but the man that I see was not the same man that shot me and killed my boyfriend.

I stand up, "No that's not him" I say and walk out.

I got in the car and my mom was sitting in there, "so?"

"No, can we leave now. I want to go home" I say while putting my seatbelt on.

It was after the memorial and so I start to pack my things. After I finished packing my stuff I brought the suitcases that I didn't need tomorrow out to the car and put it in the trunk.

I went upstairs and got ready for bed. I got into bed and turned off my lamp and slowly drifted off.