Chapter 5. Dance of the princesses.

Whilst his dear younger sister Vim was recovering under Jellylorum's care, Zavian decided to explore the new home that he and his siblings had been allowed to stay in, since Orion was also occupied having his own health check. Zavian had already seen a significant portion of the yard that surrounded the clearing, but he had not yet ventured further. So he decided to take a dusty path that lead past the towering junk piles down to a stream on the west side of the yard. It was quite a beautiful area in all honesty, fruit trees lined the stream and the water was clear and cool. Being just about spring time the trees were starting to bloom, apples, cherries, all sorts growing from the branches. The stream was glittering in the sunlight and the young tom crouched down to dip his paw in, the crisp temperature of the water brought peace to the tom; something he hadn't felt in a long while. 

Zavian sat by the water's edge for quite some time, listening to the birds chirp, dipping his toes into the water. But it was after about half an hour that he started to hear the soft and delicate tune of a hum travel through the breeze. Out of curiosity, the tom stood and and followed the song to the cherry blossom trees, and as he peered around his eyes caught sight of the most beautiful princess dancing among the falling pink petals. Her coat was a reddish gold, with black tabby stripes littered here and there. As the princess danced, it looked like she had not a care in the world, her mind was as free as the magnificent dance she was performing for the nature surrounding. Sweet words left her lips as she twirled, the cherry blossom petals danced along with her and beams of the glorious sunlight highlighted the gold of her coat. Zavian was positively entranced by her beauty and skill and leaned against the nearest tree to watch her dance, hoping that he didn't look like too much of a creep. It seemed like he was there for ages watching the princess dance, she looked to be about his age as well, and she was mighty talented too! Eventually, the grey tom stepped out from behind the tree, and as soon as he did the princess was startled by his sudden appearance. She had been so absorbed by her dancing she hadn't sensed Zavian's approach. 

"I'm sorry miss!" Zavian gasped, backing away in fear that she was disturbed by him. 

The princess frowned and crossed her arms over her chest. "Ah-ah pal! None of that 'miss' stuff. I'm Hariena." She introduced, stepping closer and holding out a paw to the tom. Quickly, he shook the princess' paw and relaxed a little. 

"My name is Zavian... I am staying here in the yard until my sister is better." He explained. 

Hariena nodded. "Oh yes, dad mentioned something about you and your siblings. I've lived here all my life you see, father is the leader." The tom absorbed the information and then stood there even more awkwardly, he had been staring at the leader's daughter whilst she danced, he truly did feel like a creep. 

His foot dug into the ground as he tried to think of something to say, Hariena was seeming far less awkward than he was. "You uh-... you're a beautiful dancer." Mumbled Zavian. He looked to his feet, feeling even more bashful now. But Hariena smiled which was shortly followed by a giggle as she rubbed her arm. 

"Well thank you Zavian." She hummed happily. "Do you dance?" 

Furiously, the grey tom shook his head. "I've never danced in my life! I doubt I'd be any good..." He confessed. Hariena's jaw practically hit the floor in disbelief. All she had ever known was dancing and singing! 

"But you're a Jellicle cat! How have you never danced before?!" She spluttered. 

The silvery tom shrugged his shoulders. "My mother and father used to tell me stories of how the Jellicles would celebrate, but we never did ourselves. Father grew too ill..." He trailed off thinking about his parents. They'd only been gone a few months... both had been severely ill and could no longer move from place to place to find food or secure shelter. After Orion was born two years ago, that's when his mother contracted what his father had, although Zavian and Vim had absolutely no idea what illness it was. For some time they had managed to live in the basement of a vacant house, Zavian had been just about old enough to go our hunting alone and Vim could stay home to keep a watch on their mother, father and Orion. Now... the tom just prayed to the Everlasting Cat that his sister wasn't as ill as their parents had been. 

"I'm sorry..." Hariena croaked, she reached out a hand and gently rubbed his arm, drawing Zavian out of his thoughts. "Perhaps, if you'd like my brothers and friend Zelda could teach you to dance?" 

A small smile appeared upon Zavian's face and he nodded eagerly. "Yes, I'd like that very much!" 

"Excellent!" Without asking, Hariena took hold of his hand and they hurriedly made their way back through the yard to the clearing where her second oldest brother Callus was lounging on the tire with Zelda. The pair were chuckling quietly to one another and Hariena frowned at them before calling out. "Hello chums! Fancy doing a bit of dancing?" 

Instantly, Zelda perked up and grinned, gracefully hopping down off of the tire. "I'll go and fetch George!" She mewed, her voice airy and gentle. Whilst the white princess was away to find the oldest triplet, Hariena turned to Callus and elbowed him rather harshly. 

"You know George likes Zelda, don't you?" She asked her brother quietly, a slight hiss to her tone. Callus looked at her blankly for a minute before nodding. 

"Yes of course I know. Why do you think I'm flirting with her?" Was his response. 

"That's not very nice Cal, to play with Zel's feelings to annoy Georgie." Scolded the princess. With that she turned back to the grey tom whom had accompanied her, and he was looking even more awkward than before. "Zavian, meet my arse of a brother, Callus."

Chuckling, Zavian extended his hand to Callus, which the black and gold tom took and gave it a firm shake. 

"Nice to meet you Zav, I'm not as bad as she says." Callus grinned. 

Soon enough, Zelda returned with George, both smiling and the princess had linked her arm with his. 

"OK, our dance style is quite different from most of the Jellicles who like to stick to tradition. We like to do our own variation of ballet." Hariena and Zelda stepped aside and performed several graceful moves, Zelda flew into a grand jeté and Hariena whizzed around in a series of pirouettes. Zavian was very impressed to say the least. 

"But we also like to perform pas de deux's together." George added in. He looked to Zelda who then quickly pattered forwards on the  tips of her toes like a ballerina en pointe, leaping up for George to catch her, finishing by dipping the white princess into a fish dive. Then once Zelda was out of the way, Hariena also sprinted towards her brother, who caught his sister to lift her up onto his shoulder. Clapping in awe, Zavian watched as the three bowed. 

"You are all so amazing!" He exclaimed. 

"But wait, there's more!" Interjected Callus. Suddenly the young tom exploded into a routine of back flips, front flips, and his new style- break dancing. "I like to be different." Callus mused once he was done, chest heaving as he tried to catch his breath. 

"We know." George groaned, glaring at his younger brother. 

"Well... you're all incredible dancers, I don't think I could ever do what you can do..." The newcomer mumbled. 

"Nonsense!" Hariena cried, she skipped over to him and casually rested her elbow on his shoulder. "We'll whip you into shape in time for the next gathering." She grinned, and the other three nodded in agreement.