n i n e

As the next Quinjet lands on the Helicarrier, Natasha leads Elana out to see Steve again. He'd gone back home after helping recover Elana, and that had been his first mission since pulling him out of the ice. He walks off of the Quinjet with Coulson.
"Coulson, they need you on the bridge. Face time," she says. Coulson nods and leaves the super soldier with the two spies.
"Hey, Elana, how're you settling in?" he asks, walking towards her.
"Good, Tony's been great," she nods, smiling tensely.
"Tony Stark?" he asks.
Elana nods.
"When you were found in the ice, there was quite the buzz. I thought Coulson was going to swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?"
"Trading cards?" Steve asks, looking slightly uncomfortable.
"Yeah. They're vintage, he's very proud," Natasha adds, walking with the two of them towards Bruce.

"Doctor Banner," Steve says, holding his hand out to him.
"Oh, yeah. Hi. They told me you'd be coming," he says, shaking his hand.
"Word is you can find the cube," Steve says, crossing his arms over his chest.
"Is that the only word on me?" Banner asks, fidgeting slightly. He knows the answer.
"Only word I care about," he nods.
Banner gives himself a second to absorb his words. "This must be strange for you both. The technology for you," he says, gesturing towards Steve, "and the situation for you." He gestures towards Elana at the end bit and she shrugs.
"War is war, work is work," she sighs.
"And this is actually kind of familiar for me," Steve nods.
"Guys, you may want to step inside in a minute. It's going to get a little hard to breathe," Natasha says, hurrying them inside as the ship begins to shake slightly.

"Is this a submarine?" Steve asks Elana. She shrugs.
"Really? They want me in a submerged pressurised metal container?" Banner asks. They both shift uneasily. Suddenly, four huge fans appear, two on either side of the craft, and the carrier begins to lift into the air.
Banner smiles sarcastically. "Oh, no. This is much worse," he says.

Natasha leads all three of the newbies through to the bridge. Flurries of activity surround them quickly, and Elana finds herself highly tense.
"We're at lock, sir," Maria Hill reports.
"Good. Let's vanish," Fury instruct. The helicarrier continues to rise, and then the entire ship covers itself in reflecting mirrors which cause the ship to become camouflaged. Fury finally acknowledges the two new men.
"Gentlemen," he nods.
Steve walks over to Fury and hands him a ten dollar bill. Fury walks over to Banner and holds out his hand. Banner takes it, slightly hesitant.
"Doctor, thank you for coming," Fury says,
"Thanks for asking nicely," Banner replies. "So, uh... how long am I staying?"
"Once we get our hands on the Tesseract, you're in the clear," Fury tells him.

Banner relaxes slightly. "Where are you with that?" he asks.
Fury turns to Coulson, gesturing for him to explain. Natasha is staring at the screen holding a picture of Clint.
"We're sweeping every wirelessly accessible camera on the planet. Cell phones, laptops. If it's connected to a satellite, it's eyes and ears for us," Coulson explains.
"That's still not going to find them in time," she says, her voice slightly strained.
"You have to narrow the field," Banner says. "How many spectrometers do you have access to?"
"How many are there?" Fury replies.
"Call every lab you know. Tell them to put the spectrometers on the roof and calibrate them for gamma rays. I'll rough out a tracking algorithm based on cluster recognition. At least we could rule out a few places. Do you have somewhere for me to work?"
"Agent Romanoff, would you show Dr. Banner to his laboratory please," Fury says.
Natasha nods and leads Banner down the hall.
"You're going to love it, Doc. We've got all the toys," she says, grinning at him.

Coulson moves to stand next to Steve as Elana pulls up a chair. She hears them begin talking about Coulson's card collection, and tunes out. Instead, she hums one of the tunes from her many ballet lessons quietly, replaying some of the many times she danced it in her head. She brings her feet up and down from her toes as she imagines all the Pointe steps and she moves ever so slightly. She loses focus and her humming dies down, her eyes closing slightly as if she's going to take a nap.
"Captain, Elana, you're up," Coulson says, ignoring the fact that Elana is currently not listening.
"Elana," he repeats, walks towards her and putting a hand on her shoulder. Elana shoots into action as soon as she feels a hand on her shoulder. She grabs the arm and twists it violently, kicking the person in the knee and making them kneel as she stands and pulls their arm behind their back. She gasps and she realises it's Coulson and releases him, apologising repeatedly.
"It's okay, now go! He's in Stuttgart," Coulson instructs, letting Steve pull Elana towards the Quinjets.