1941, April 28

Madam Klein led Carla over to a group of well-dressed young women and introduced her to them.

"Dear ladies, I am here to introduce you to my distant niece Ms Carla Richter." The ladies all stood, a short brunette girl extending her hand.

"Ms Carla it is truly a pleasure. I am Zoe Schmidt, and this is Sofia Schulz and Gretta Fischer." She gestured to the blue-eyed blond and the girl next to her with red hair and green eyes. The blond spoke next, "We are very happy to have you here, we promise to take the very best care of you." As she was taught, Carla smiled politely and sat in the spare seat next to Sofia. Madam Klein nodded her head in approval and left Carla with the Polish girls.

"So Carla, what brings you to this side of Poland?" The red-haired girl Gretta spoke, making Carla feel very nervous. But after all if she was going to survive, she would have to learn to adapt.

"Well my mother died when I was very young, and my father is so busy with the war effort that it has become incredibly lonely at my home of late." Carla shortly realised she was anxiously fidgeting with her hands, so she placed them both on the top of her clutch that lay on her lap. She did her best to engage in conversation.

"We will do our best to make you feel at home while you are here, until the war is won." Carla tried her best to smile, how could you wish for such things when it was the German Army who ruined her life to begin with.

"I really appreciate that Gretta, and you too Sofia and Zoe. Your hospitality is deeply appreciated." Just at that moment, a group of young gentlemen entered the room. Two of them very much alike; one with black hair and one with brown, the brown-haired man a little shorter than his peer. Sofia chirps into explanation.

"So, the black-haired boy there is Elias Hoffman and the shorter one next to him, that's Jonas Muller." She squeaks with excitement at the mention of the second boy, which confused Carla quite some amount. And clearly it showed.

"Sorry dear I'll explain the details; Elias Hoffman is Sofia's current boyfriend, hence the... excitement of sorts." Zoe twirled a loose brown curl around her finger smirking at Sofia, who blushed immensely before rushing over to her partner. Whilst they were talking, Carla did not see a third gentleman enter the room. As she turned toward the window she saw him, he had deep brown eyes, his hair a shade of mousey blond. And he was looking straight at her, she smiled politely as quickly looked away not wanting to attract unnecessary attention. Turning back to the table she saw both Zoe and Gretta staring wide-eyed at her, eyebrows raised.

"You've been here only a few minutes and already you're getting eyes from Henri Brandt." Carla looked to her right once more, to find this Henri still staring at her. He smirked and walked to find himself a drink. Not knowing what to make of the situation, or exactly why it was such a big deal, she shrugged her shoulders slightly.

"And?" Zoe laughed.

"And? Carla, Henri Brandt is the most eligible bachelor there is here, every girl wants him." Gretta sighed.

"Yet no matter how many of us try, none of us can get his attention. Even if we are screaming at him, he wouldn't bat an eyelid. Yet you walk in and suddenly he can't take his eyes off you, you must be special indeed." Feeling slightly flustered, Carla dismissed the suggestion.

"It is only because I am new here I am sure, give it a week and he'll forget I exist I assure you." However, Carla realised as she was talking that the girls' focus had shifted to someone coming from behind her. She turned a little to the left, to find a figure standing beside her.

"Ladies, how are we this fine afternoon?" The two girls smiled as the young man sat beside them both, where Sofia was sitting moments before.

"Quite well thank you Henri, as you may have noticed we have a guest with us. Henri, this is Carla Richter. She is visiting from the far side of Poland." Carla smiled and nodded her head once.