1942, January 18

She made her way through the backstreets and alleyways to Henri's house. He had told her the route that would keep her mostly unseen, as Madam Klein was still picky with how much interaction Carla and Henri were allowed together, particularly alone. And Carla knew she wouldn't approve of this. She came up to the back door, on the side of the rustic porch that lay out the front of the house. Carla looked up, it was a beautiful house, yet she could tell it hadn't been upkept for a long time. She tapped on the door lightly, making sure there was no one around to see her. The door opened instantly, Henri standing in the doorway, smiling from ear to ear.

"Carla, I thought you'd never come." He ushered her inside and rubbed the sides of her arms to warm her up. "It's a cold one today, come inside and make yourself at home." Carla smiled and left her shoes at the back door; the floor was warmer than she expected.

"Where is your mother?" Carla asked, looking around. Henri came over with two mugs of hot drinks.

"Asleep upstairs, she is still grieving for my brother and Pa I guess. She seems happiest when she is asleep." Carla felt incredibly awkward as she started at the steaming contents of her cup.

"It must be incredibly lonely for you." She said in a small voice. Henri shrugged.

"Its not too bad, there are always rubbish parties to go to when wanting to waste time." He sat down beside her and stroked her hair and her cheek. "I've missed your company." Carla took his hand and pressed it against her cheek.

"This is the first proper time we have been alone together, away from the eye of society or parties or lunch meetings. It's nice not having to pretend all the time don't you think?" Henri chuckled and leaned in close.

"Indeed Ms Richter, your wisdom proceeds you." He kissed her slowly, gently, not taking his hand off her cheek. Carla felt a surge of energy rush through her, as she did every odd occasion on which they had kissed. It felt special to her, like each time their lips met they were making a promise to each other, to love each other unconditionally no matter the cost. As they parted, Carla caught sight of a book shelf inside a room. She peered over and walked towards it. She walked in and let her fingers run over the numerous spines that sat upon the shelf. All titles and series she had never heard over before. She become quite intrigued by this collection.

"I have never seen so many books upon one wall in a house before, are they your father's?" Henri came into the room and stood beside her.

"Actually, all of these are mine. My father and Felix never took an interest in reading, but my mother always encouraged it." Carla was astounded, there were enough books in this one room alone to last her an entire lifetime. "This is my room." He gestured to the bed and the wooden closet in the corner. And sitting on a small wooden drawer lay a record player. Carla looked at it, then at Henri. He smiled, knowing exactly what she thought. He pulled out an old record from the drawer and placed it onto the record player. And at once he whisked Carla away, the two of them dancing in the small space of his bedroom. The music got faster and the two of them spun around and around until they were dizzy. Laughing from the excitement, the two sat upon his bed to catch their breath. When Carla's head finally stopped spinning she looked over at Henri, expecting to find him smiling. But he was not. He looked almost sad and reached out his hand to caress the side of her face again. She grabbed his hand and placed it in both of hers, she was beginning to grow concerned.

"Henri? Is everything alright? What seems to be bothering you?" He sighed and smiled, but not one of the happy sort. A sad smile, the most bittersweet expression of all, it troubled Carla to no end.

"I have turned 17 Carla, and recently the military age restrictions have been lowered," Carla couldn't piece together what he was saying, "which means I am able to enlist in the war." You could have heard a pin drop between them. Carla dropped his hand in her lap. She could feel the tears burning in her eyes. He couldn't leave her, he couldn't! Not after everything she had been through, all this time feeling alone and afraid of the world. He couldn't. "Carla," he pleaded, "Carla please." She turned away from him.