Chapter Thirty - The Vampire's Interruption

Start from the beginning

With a huff Chloe flopped down unceremoniously in a chair, crossing her arms.

Despite her attitude Victoria had to admit the other woman was beautiful. Her tan skin had a healthy glow and her long hair curled thickly over her shoulders and back. She was more conservatively dressed then the witches Victoria had seen at the auction, but not by much. Her black dress was loose and airy, the bodice cut low over her cleavage.

"Then you're her familiar?" Sebastian asked.

"Yes."

"And there is no way to break the bond?"

"No. Even if there was I wouldn't do it," Bane informed them.

Chloe's eyes widened, as if surprised by his answer. They were a deep violet and Victoria wondered if the witch had used some kind of spell to make them that way.

"I see. You don't seem to fear me Chloe. That's unusual," Sebastian remarked.

She shrugged. "I've seen Bane's demonic form already. Besides he wouldn't let you hurt me." Bane stiffened, his eyes darkening as he looked at the witch with open hunger.

Oh boy.

Jasper coughed, covering his mouth.

Clearing her throat she tugged on Sebastian's shirt. "Aren't you going to introduce me?"

Sebastian had to clear his own throat before he could speak. "Of course. Bane this is Victoria, my female."

My female... He said it so possessively she nearly shuddered.

Bane gave her a short bow. She didn't miss the way his eyes flicked to her neck and she knew he was looking for Sebastian's mark. "I'm glad my king has finally found a female of his own. It's a pleasure. Nicholas has told me much about you."

"Mostly good things," Nicholas joked.

"And this wolf, Vincent Shaw? Are we on the hunt for him?" Bane asked.

"Most assuredly," Sebastian all but snarled. Slipping his arm around her waist he said, "I see that you're fully healed."

Nodding Bane rubbed his hand over his beard. "It feels good to be strong again."

"And you can turn demonic?" Sebastian asked.

"When I became Chloe's familiar the curse was broken."

"I'm relieved. I know how much you've suffered without your demon."

"Aye. I welcome its return."

Victoria glanced between the two men. So Bane embraced his inner demon while Sebastian despised it?

Sighing Sebastian informed him, "As you know I've joined the Ascended and I've been working to reunite the clans. Ivan the Defiler marches against us. "

"It pleases me to hear that. We need our king."

Sebastian frowned for a moment before saying, "The clans have fallen into chaos. Most of the fiery have already joined the Legion with Ivan. The war is going to be fierce."

"We will fight with you." Bane's face grew fierce. "Gabriel has taken an interest in Chloe that I cannot ignore."

"Is that so?"

"I fear the Mad One wishes to use her in his army. She's powerful but she struggles to control it."

Chloe scowled. "I'm not that bad..."

Bane gave her a look. "Woman, you blew the damn roof off."

She jumped to her feet, slapping his arm. "That was one time! One time, demon!"

"Uh huh. Shall I tell them-"

"Don't you dare!" She slapped his arm again.

Bane patted Chloe's head as if consoling a child. "Rest easy, my little witch. You're secrets are safe with me."

She rolled her eyes. "I can't believe I even agreed to this."

"Do you dislike demons?" Victoria asked.

The witch gave Bane a pointed look. "What's to like? They're brutes. Especially the berserkers."

Bane winced.

Smiling Victoria slipped her arm around Sebastian's waist. "They can be a bit overwhelming." Glancing up at Sebastian she murmured, "But it's worth it."

Sebastian looked down at her with open wonder. "Victoria..."

She shrugged. "Just saying."

"I have yet to see it," Chloe huffed.

Bane sighed. "Chloe has had some bad experiences with demons in the past. We are working through it."

Chloe snorted. "In the past? Try ten minutes ago."

Bane's face flickered between anger and something darker. "Not now, witch."

"Tell me, does your demon force himself on you?" Chloe asked bitterly.

"Chloe," Bane hissed. "You're pushing it."

"It's true!"

Clasping her chin he leaned down close, murmuring roughly, "I've never done anything you didn't want. And I seem to remember you clinging to me as you begged for more."

Chloe turned bright red. "You bastard."

Wow. Victoria felt her own cheeks flush.

A smooth voice suddenly sounded from the doorway. "I appear to be interrupting."

Everyone turned to stare at Charles. The vampire stood with his arms crossed, his normally kind face hard as stone. His eyes were fixated on Jasper, glittering black.

Jasper took a step back. "Charles?"

"I do apologize, Sebastian," Charles bit out. "But I need to borrow your servant for a time." He stalked towards the spectral demon, his eyes narrowed with intent.

Jasper placed his hands up in front of him, backed into a corner. "Now wait just a minute, vampire."

"Do not phase from me again. I vow I will hunt you down, demon," Charles growled.

Jasper paled. "Wait-"

Holy shit! Victoria watched with bated breath as the vampire snatched Jasper by his shirt collar.

"I'm a patient man, Jasper, but you push too far."

"Charles, just wait-"

"I've waited long enough," he snarled.

Then they were gone. All of them stared at the spot where the two of them had just been standing in stunned silence.

"Didn't see that coming," Nicholas remarked with amusement.