Chapter 10 The Relic and the Hand

Начните с самого начала

Nevertheless, this will most definitely present a new kind of issue. They decided to speed up their pace to try and at least make it to the relic before Dagmyre could arrive. This, Lyse suggested to them, will be the most beneficial of tactics in dealing with them at first. The only problem is getting away. If fate were truly in their favor, they would be able to disperse into the tunnels before Dagmyre, or any other knight could get a chance to take it. This is the second day, after all. While most would think it wise to take a safer route, it is undeniable that expedient retrieval of these relics will no doubt be the safest. The fewer relics there are, the more desperate everyone will become. Three trials of disastrous monsters, and now the final will most definitely be decided by a clash of swords and shields. They could almost hear the ringing already of combat and steeled themselves to as best of their abilities. At least for now, the thoughts of that bridge had long passed, and now they could simply focus on the implications ahead instead.

The tunnels continued on, as they always had. It was something rather eerie traveling. While each trial presented a unique challenge, life-threatening in their cases, the tunnels showed little variations in their structure. It was like they were traveling in one massive circle as they continued on, they were just recycling the same rooms, and Lyse nearly tried memorizing the grooves and individual cracks to disprove this paranoia. It is at these times that they wished deeply for the comfort of the Forest of Silence as is. But alas, they soon did find one variation, but not one that they were quite expecting. What caught them all was the smell. A grim and familiar one, one that permeated the very walls in its stench, and they've each witnessed before. A corpse that was left out. It was a knight, although it seemed much older than the other dead bodies that they've come across. They got closer to take a better look at it.

The thin brown skin that wrapped around its frail bones was hung under what appeared to be a wool shirt and chainmail. The helmet and skull alike had a massive hole on top, as if something pierced straight through. Through a quick glance, Lyse noticed that it must have been some sort of weapon, like a spiked hammer or perhaps a javelin. Any weapons that may have clung to the cadaver's hands were missing, as well as anything valuable. Even some pieces of armor were missing.

"Looks like someone got the short end of the pike," Edlund gave a sad sigh. "Poor guy was probably struck from behind. Luckier end than most, though. At least it was quick."

"Been here for a few years too," Grey looked ahead into the tunnel. "Pretty adequate warning for what's up ahead, I suppose."

"We're going to have to stay sharp," Elena drew her blade once more, bringing forth what appeared to be a single-handed, curved blade that seemed a little too wide to fit inside this magical scabbard. They each unsheathed their blades and then moved carefully to the rest of the tunnel.

It did not take them long till they found some other source of light; in the same moment, Lyse extinguished his own sword, setting it ready as they quietly moved forward. Their footfalls were muffled as they slowly moved to the edge. The light was dim, and two torches lit in a dull flame on the opposite end of this chamber. The back half was raised from their position, approached by a set of stairs that wrapped around the perimeter. Drapes covered the back wall between the torches and sitting above a pedestal holding a glass casing. The room was otherwise bare, with a stale odor around them in stark contrast to the tunnel. It felt like not another soul had made its way here in a long time. Lyse gave them the symbol to spread out around the chamber while he went straight to the middle. They all agreed, paying close attention to him as he began to advance. Now, as they moved a few feet in, they were spotted a few more entrances, all on this level of the chamber. And then, they heard the rustling of footsteps and muffled voices. Lyse glanced over his shoulder to see a few people, their own swords glowing, stumbling into the chamber as well.