Chapter 1

For Majela23

*One year later*

"When are you going to stop looking for that boy?" My friend Kirstie asked as we got coffee. I glared at her. She saw my searching for the mysterious boy as an unhealthy obsession. We were walking down the streets of dreary Seattle with warm coffees in our hands.

"I need to thank him. If he hadn't saved me, we would have never been friends."

"I have to give him that." I smiled at her. Over the past year, Kirstie has become my best friend. Along with her boyfriend Avi and his best friend Kevin. I was at the happiest moment of my life right now and I want to thank the boy who made that happen. I wasn't expecting to live to be twenty one.

"So is Avi coming over tonight?" She shook her head.

"Nah. You can come home."

"Thanks for allowing me to come home to my own apartment." I took a sip of my coffee as I heard her laugh.

"You chose me as your roommate." She nonchalantly brushed the fact that I have come home to them having sex too many times to count. I shuddered. Gross.

"Watch out!" I had no time to prepare myself for a fully grown golden retriever knocking me to the ground. My coffee spilled over the front shirt and my butt landed in a puddle.

"Fuck!"

"I'm so sorry."

"Watch where you're go-" I stopped mid sentence when I saw who was in front of me apologizing. It was the boy with the red umbrella. Well, he didn't have his umbrella. He had groceries in his arms and a broken leash in his hands.

"You okay? It looks like you've seen a ghost." Kirstie said as she helped me off the ground.

"Lucky! Sit." The dog did as the boy commanded. I turned to look at Kirstie.

"It's him." I whispered and realization flashed across her face.

"Are you okay?" I turned back to the boy and it didn't seem like he recognized me. "I was left with the groceries and the dog and the leash broke. I'm so sorry."

"No. Don't worry about it. Do you need help?"

"I really couldn't ask you to do that." I smiled, taking a bag from his hands. "Thanks."

"I'm going to head back to the apartment." Kirstie pat me on the back with a little wink. I blushed. I began helping the boy I owed my life to with his things. I had two bags of groceries and now he only had one but he was holding the dog's collar with his free hand. When we got to his car, he put the dog in the back seat before coming around to open the trunk.

"So is that your girlfriend or wife?" I laughed loudly. I set the bags in the back, my fingers bumping against his red umbrella.

"I'm not into women."

"Oh." I saw his eyes drift over me. I bit my lip to hide my smile. "You seem....familiar." I turned around hopefully. His eyebrows were drawn together in thought.

"A year ago. A park not far from here." There was a moment of silence as he tried to work everything out.

"You were going to be one of the jumpers. You were the last one I talked to." He placed his finger in the middle of my chest. "You're Scott. Scott Hoying. I thought you died."

"No. You saved me." He chuckled. I stumble backwards as he threw his arms around my neck. We both ignored the fact that coffee was probably soaking into his shirt. I just thank god I was wearing my black skinny jeans so I did have to deal with everyone asking about the water stain on my butt.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" He pulled away. "I searched the papers for what seems like forever to find out if you went through with it and I'm so happy you didn't!" He pulled me into another tight hug. He held me at arms length away.

"I owe you my life and I don't know your name." He couldn't wipe the smile off.

"It's Mitch. Mitch Grassi." There was a teasing tone to that sentence. He was mocking me from a year ago. His hand brushed against my jawline before cupping my cheek. "This made my whole day."

"Mitch?" Mitch dropped his hand as another man came up to the car. The other man had almost black hair yet bright green eyes. I felt my smile fall when the man's arm went around Mitch's waist. It's not like I expected him to fall into my arms. I haven't seen this boy in a year and he didn't even....he didn't even care.

"Scott. This is my boyfriend Derek. Derek. This is Scott."

"The one that got away?" I was surprised when Mitch nodded. The one that got away? What is that suppose to mean? "You have a stain-"

"Lucky jumped on him."

"Damn dog. I'll be waiting in the car."

"Okay." He smiled after his boyfriend. I was actually confused why he didn't kiss Derek. "Do you have a phone?" I snapped my attention back to Mitch.

"Yeah." I didn't make any move to do anything. He held out his hand.

"Can I enter my number in it?"

"Oh yeah! Sure." I handed my phone as he giggled at me.

"I want you to call or text whenever you want. Maybe we can hang out." I scratched the back of my head, keeping my hand on the back of my neck as I smiled shyly.

"I-I'd like that."

"I have morning classes-"

"It's the same for me." He brushed a piece of hair to the side from where it slid on his forehead.

"Maybe we had some classes together but we never noticed."

"How do you even know we go to the same college?" He pointed towards the lanyard that my key was on. It was from the college. An embarrassed blush graced my cheeks. "You must think I'm stupid." He laughed, shaking his head.

"No. Just adorably confused." He stood on his toes, placing his lips on my cheek. I closed my eyes as a warm sensation spread over my body. I made sure my eyes were open when he pulled away. I didn't want to look as weird as I was acting. "Goodbye Scott." There was a natural seduction that was laced with his voice. He jumped into the car and I watched as they drove away.

"It's him." My hand shot to my cheek to touch the area he kissed. It didn't matter that he belong to another man. I'm just happy I'm able to know him. At least, that's what I'm hoping that I'm thinking.