"You have to listen carefully to how I explain this." Zayn heard the teacher say to Liam.

"But I can't do it."

"Will you try?"

"I am trying. I just don't get it and I never will. Math is a shitty course. You know that?"

The teacher exhaled deeply. "Liam, the cursing really has to stop."

He grunted, folded his arms and sat back in his desk. "Explain to me how to do this again."

The teacher went on to show him step by step how to solve the problem, even writing it down. But Liam just never seemed to get it. The frustration was clearly growing for both of them.

"Let's try another problem." The teacher tried but Liam cut him off.

"No, I don't want to do another one! I hate this school and I hate the teachers. No one is helping me!"

"I'm trying-"

But Liam stood up. "Fuck you! And fuck all of this is bullshit! You and everyone in here can kiss my ass."

And with that, he took his backpack and left the classroom.

The class stood in awe of his sudden outburst. Louis was just as shocked as everyone else. He hadn't expected that to happen either. It seemed to have come out of nowhere. Zayn wasn't sure what to do, but he knew he needed to stay out of Liam's way for the rest of the day. He seemed pretty heated.

After that, Mr. Nigel sat at his desk and cancelled the assignment once and for all. Zayn could tell he was wondering the same thing that he was wondering. What was wrong with Liam? What was troubling him so much? He was usually rude and obnoxious on a daily basis, but this was a weird change and it was happening way too fast.

First it was cocaine and now there was a sudden change in attitude. Zayn wasn't sure how many times he was going to have to tell himself something was wrong before someone worked up the courage to try and find out what it was. But he hoped they did before Liam damaged himself for good.

.

.

.

After school, Niall decided to ride the bus with Zayn to his house. So Zayn was on his way to meet Niall at the sidewalk out in front of the school. But he was stopped abruptly when Liam grabbed his arm and pulled him around the side of the school building. A chill went through Zayn's body when a cold wind started blowing from the north.

"You piece of shit." Liam grumbled. Zayn could smell it again. The weed. It was strong. Apparently Liam had himself a smoke when he left math and then came back to the school campus. But he wasn't high. "You think you have everything, don't you?"

Zayn was confused. "What?"

Liam reached in his pocket and pulled out a silver object. Zayn recognized right away that it was a pocket knife.

"Why don't you ever say anything back when I threaten you then? Am I just not scary enough?"

What a question to ask when he had a knife pointed at him. Because Zayn was terrified now.

"Do I look weak? Do I look like I shit rainbows?!"

"I- I don't understand."

"Do you think I'm stupid, Zayn?! Huh?! He didn't give him a chance to say anything before he was answering his own question. "Apparently that's what people think I am because that's what Louis told me a couple minutes ago. Apparently I'm stupid because I tried cocaine. But what if I'm just trying it out just to see what it's like? Ever thought about that!" He put the knife to Zayn's nose and Zayn gasped.