2: Signing up for the Slave Auction

Simon squeezes past a final group of revellers and reaches Kate.

"Here you go, your vodka and coke. The bar prices are daylight robbery." He leans against the wall next to her, sipping his glass.

"Thanks," she replies. "So, are you ready yet? To look for someone to sub for? We could hang around the play room and see if anyone likes the look of us?"

"I'm not sure – I still don't know if I can do it. I think I'll just stay here for a while, watch the crowd and work up a bit of courage."

"Oh God Simon, you took long enough getting the drinks. I'm not waiting for you to work up your nerve. The later we leave it the more Doms will have picked subs to play with, and the less chance we'll have of finding someone. Man up, it's now or never. I'm not missing out on my best chance for a scene because you're dithering."

"Ok, Ok. Stop pressuring me, it's not helping." He frowns. "If you're so desperate for some action, why don't you sign up for the slave auction?"

"The what?" She tilts her head, eyes widening. "There's a slave auction? Oh wow! But how come you know about that and I don't?"

"There was a poster by the bar. Slaves sign up and they're put on display in a cage. At midnight they're sold to the highest bidder for use on this night only. The money is going to some charity or other. The poster said it's guaranteed play, apparently if no-one buys you the house Doms will be forced to punish you for your shortcomings. They're taking volunteers in the stage room, where the show was".

He hesitates, trying to gauge her reaction before continuing.

"Sounds like just what you're looking for? But you'd better go now, they're only signing slaves until the cage is full."

Kate is bouncing up and down in excitement.

"Simon, yes! It's perfect. Just perfect!" she gushes. Then she smiles, a mischievous look in her eyes.

"We can both sign up. It'll take all the awkwardness out of finding your first proper Mistress – you can let her choose you! It'll be a great introduction to the scene.... And it's for charity so it'd be really bad to refuse, wouldn't it?"

She puts on her best pout and raises her eyebrows expectantly. Simon hesitates to respond.

"That's not what I meant. I don't think it's my sort of thing."

Kate continues her persuasion, fluttering her eyelashes.

"Oh come on, say you will. It'll be great fun. And anyway, I can't exactly leave you out here on your own, can I? You'd have a terrible night. If you come too, we'll be in the slave cage together waiting to be sold. It'll be such a laugh. Go on Simon, it's time to take a deep breath and dive in. Do you really think you'll meet someone if I'm not on your case all night? You promised me that you wouldn't be a wallflower tonight. If you're going to stay on the margins you might as well just go home."

Simon sees she's not going to give up. He knows when Kate is determined, she will keep asking and cajoling until she gets the answer she wants. Just like when she persuaded him to come here in the first place. Once she gets an idea into her head - once she decides she will make something happen – she just keeps on and on about it until she gets her own way. He smiles. At times like this, when she stamps her foot and makes demands, he struggles to see her as the submissive she claims to be. Far too bossy. Maybe that's why he gave in and spent a small fortune on the ticket.

The trouble is, she is right. He will have a terrible night if she leaves him here alone. He will waste the evening standing by the wall and watching, just like he'd done at the first BDSM night, which had been the most terrifying, thrilling and exciting night of his life. He had promised himself the next time would be different. Well, that next time is now. And he doesn't want to wake up regretting an expensive waste of the door price.

Simon sighs, and downs his drink. "OK. OK, I'll do it. If only to shut you up."

---

Simon stands in front of a bored looking man in a PVC military style jacket and peaked cap.

"Right, you will be slave number ten and she'll be eleven. Write your names and details on these forms, describe the sort of play you like, anything you're not willing to try, and list any medical conditions we need to know about. We'll put them all together into our auction catalogue. Oh, and I need a picture of you too. Smile."

He lifts a polaroid camera to his face. Simon looks into the lens but can't raise a smile. The flash is bright, sudden. It draws attention from a few bystanders. The square photo ejects from the bottom of the camera. Then it's Kate's turn. She is smiling, tilting her head and trying to look alluring. A second flash, another whirr as the camera ejects a second square of paper.

The auction clerk half-heartedly waves the pictures in the air whilst they develop. He checks they are acceptable - black and white head shots meant for photocopying into the catalogue book. When he is satisfied it's all in order, he speaks again. "OK, that's it. Put your collars on and in you go. Oh, and make sure you've been to the bathroom before we lock you in. You don't get out again until you're sold."

He hands Simon a shiny metal collar, lined with leather. It has a buckle fastening at the back and a D ring at the front. Hanging from the D ring is a dog tag with the number 10 engraved on it.

"Put this on. Don't speak to the buyers unless you're spoken to, and keep your hands and feet to yourself. Mistress Julie is supervising the cage so any trouble and you'll answer to her".

Simon feels his pulse quicken as he scans the stage and sees a woman in thigh high boots and a similar PVC uniform. He shakes his head and mutters "Oh shit, what am I doing?"

The clerk raises an eyebrow. "First time in the auction?"

Kate interrupts before Simon can get a word in. "It's his first time in the auction, and first time playing any sort of scene. Unless you count one ex-girlfriend." She flashes a wide smile, proud that she persuaded Simon to join her.

"Ha!" laughs the clerk, a wry grin spreading over his face. He is clearly amused. "Brave man. Well, be sure to write THAT on the form. Should bring a bit of interest, it's not every auction we have a virgin to sell."

Simon looks from the clerk to Kate and back again, wondering if it's too late to back out.

It is.

---

He fastens the collar around his neck, and crawls into the cage. Kate follows him, wittering on about something or other, looking very pleased with herself. Simon is not really listening. The cage is long and narrow, set up at the front of the stage, above the main floor level. Already it is half full of people. The cage is low, too low to stand up in. He can't even kneel upright; he is forced to remain on all fours. The stage lights are shining down on him, and suddenly he feels hot again, flushed with sweat and anticipation. He looks out at the handful of men and women milling around the room.

"Any one of these," he thinks. "It could be any one of them. Someone will buy me, and tie me up, and do whatever they like to me". His ears thud with the sound of his heartbeat, and he begins to feel sick.

"What the hell am I doing?" he whispers under his breath. "How the hell did I let you talk me into this?" But despite the nerves, somewhere in the middle of his being there is a growing calm. A part of him that has already relinquished control. That has trusted his safety, even his very life to another, to someone more powerful than himself. That all responsibility has already lifted from his shoulders, and all he needs to do is obey. There is a deep peace about the idea.

He glances at Kate. She is watching his expression, gazing at him with a look somewhere between satisfaction and concern.

"Enjoying yourself yet?"