12 | Liar, Liar!

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
xii. LIAR, LIAR!

╚══════════════════╝

  HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED how much of your life is real? What about how much of your life is a lie? Do you ever think that maybe, everything you see in front of you is all one big fairytale? Maybe it's your name, maybe it's your friends, maybe it's...

  HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED how much of your life is real? What about how much of your life is a lie? Do you ever think that maybe, everything you see in front of you is all one big fairytale? Maybe it's your name, maybe it's your friends, maybe it's your family, maybe it's the fact that your favorite shirt isn't as cute as your friends said it was.

  In books, TV shows, plays, and movies, we see our characters being lied to and how it affects them, submerging their lives into absolute chaos. Harry Potter was never just an orphan, Juliet wasn't dead when Romeo found her, and so on. We all know that lying can ruin someone's life, so why do we do it? Why do we lie? Some say we lie to protect the people we care about, but lying always ends up hurting them more than anything else, which brings up a new question.

  Do we lie for the sake of others or for the sake of ourselves?

   Riley didn't think she was a liar. When someone wanted her to be honest, she was. For example, one time, Flash asked her if she'd ever go on a date with him, she told him she would rather dive into shark-infested waters. Maybe it was extreme, but come on, it's Flash we're talking about!

   She never felt like she was a liar. Whatever people wanted to know, she'd tell them — just a condensed version of the full story. When someone at Midtown High would ask about her family, Riley would tell them that her parents died when she was young, which was true! She just didn't add the part that she accidentally murdered her parents and gained superpowers that made her one of the Earth's mightiest defenders.

   ...That didn't make her a liar, did it?

   No, Riley wasn't a liar. She was a good person with good intentions. But when she strolled into her 7th period to meet with the Academic Decathlon team and laid her eyes on Peter Parker, Riley sure did feel like one.

   After all, for two months, Riley had been keeping secrets from Peter, secrets he deserved to know about. Something about it felt wrong, despicable. Was it because she was becoming a little attached to the boy with the heart of gold?

   If Peter wasn't associated with the Avengers, if Peter wasn't Spider-Man, if Peter was just a normal boy being mentored by Tony Stark, maybe Riley would feel better about this whole thing. She was worried she wouldn't be able to keep up this act for much longer. Peter was her friend, a future Avenger she'd properly work alongside one day.

   She knew she was doing this for Tony, one of her best friends in the entire universe, someone she'd give her life for. She knew he just wanted to make sure his protege was transitioning into the hero world smoothly and keeping up with his responsibilities. But this whole thing was getting harder and harder to deal with. Maybe in the future, they'd look back on this situation and laugh, but right now, in the present, Riley didn't like lying to Peter.