Chapter 18

I'm kinda inspired by the message on my feed. Thank you!

@SophiaJaison99 :)

Chapter 18

"Scarlett," the rolling baritone that was now too familiar woke me from my sleep.

Sweat was pouring off of my pores and I was breathing hard. With how my body felt, I knew it gathered no rest from that night. My eyes focused on the man sitting beside me.

"You were moaning in your sleep," Zach told me, his brows crumpled. He pulled me into a sitting position, wiping the sweat off my forehead with his hand. It was such a gentle move, a caring action. But as I watched him, his blue eyes weren't meeting my honeyed ones.

And as I glanced at the window, the sun was now quite high in the sky, signaling a new day. It was already morning.

"I waited for you last night," I said in a deadened voice. This felt like a bigger issue than my dreams. A far far FAR bigger matter than anything at the moment. "Way past midnight. And you didn't come home."

At my words, those blue eyes finally gave me the eye contact I wanted.

"You shouldn't have waited up for me," there was a slight scolding in his tone that I didn't like.

"Where were you?" I queried back, "You didn't even tell me you were going out."

He was silent. Watching me in the manner that only he was capable of and I hated that he did this a lot. Not answering my question. Always making me feel like he knows more than I did.

Well he didn't need to rub it in! This amnesia was enough proof of that.

"Susan said you went to a meeting. What kind of meeting goes on until that late in the evening?" my voice was shaking from emotion, "A-and then she said it was normal for men to drink after a meeting. Well, didn't it cross your mind to call and tell me you'll be home late? You have a wife waiting in here! Or why couldn't you have gone home immediately after the meeting instead? And if you really wanted to drink, why not do it here?"

I was rambling. Something I realized only until I finished saying those things.

Zach carefully watched me with those blue eyes.

Then of all thing, the corners of his mouth curled upward.

"I'll have to talk to Susan about the things she says to you."

My mouth fell open at that response.

"That's beside the point!" I exclaimed, frustrated at him for being deliberately dense at a moment like this. "I want to know where—"

"I'm sorry I went out without telling you yesterday," he said.

His words were quick to slow down the emotions whirling inside me.

I shouldn't be this easy! I frowned at him, "That's not—"

"I'm sorry for staying out too late," he continued. "And I'm sorry that you waited up and worried."

"I wasn't worried..." I denied futilely.

"And I'm sorry that I'm riling you up this early knowing your condition." Zach's eyes fell to my flat stomach beneath the covers.

The fact that he remembered the baby was all it took to release the fight in me. And his big hand settling over where our child lay was too tender to be paired with that expression that should not be allowed on men.