Chapter 2: Mr. Solo

For precisely 6 years Ben Solo had been teaching sophomores, juniors and seniors alike at Mishawaka High School

He came to know a majority of the students after having them year after year. Most newcomers he recognized simply by looking at their last name on his roster; whether he knew them by their active participation in school sports or had taught a sibling of theirs in the past.

It seemed like a lot of names and faces to remember (only 500), but for Ben it came to be as easy as memorizing the numbers of his social security and driver's license. He was good at remembering faces and even better at pinpointing those that would give him problems in class intentionally, segregating them from the students that cared enough to learn about Agricultural Science.

His personal favorites were the jocks and cheerleaders, the ones who always believed that they could pass the class just by showing up, thinking it to be a subject that involved discussions merely about corn and wheat.

Candidly they weren't that far off, but there was so much more to the topic than just differentiating seeds and showing how they were planted. There were also opportunities to participate in 4-H shows at the local county fair.

Ben knew that based on first-hand experience that the class also revolved around equestrians and livestock. His parents raised Morgan thoroughbreds as show horses for years on their 14-acre ranch, roughly 10 miles from Notre Dame's campus. That was until his father had been forced into early retirement.

Anyhow, that topic was a bit of a sore spot. He never cared to enlighten his students about that right off the bat; most of them typically requested to transfer to another subject, like Study Hall, after suffering his lectures about crops and dirt for a few weeks.

Those who were brave enough to stay always assumed that bribing him was the next best route to take when attempting to earn their A in class. Generally they were the ones who fell asleep during lectures – no, 'accidentally fell asleep' is what they would say. Not that he could blame them, really, but it was an excuse that he very rarely allowed to slide by.

If having girls shove their tits in his face wasn't enough to earn their way out of detention, they begrudgingly would revert to saying something like, 'I'm sorry, Professor. I'd hate to be punished for my mistake.'

He would pause and consider them momentarily as they batted their eyelashes excessively, and lavish in watching their faces fall when they'd still earn a trip to after-school detention. Generally he had them needlessly clean the farming tools and equipment in the Ag's storage shed.

He anticipated the current school year to be no different than those in the past. He took a quick glance over the fourth period roster before the hour and recognized several of the names from the year prior while a few were newer. Out of a class of 15 he knew a majority of them wouldn't be an issue. That was until he came upon one name that stuck out from the rest.