Chapter 1 - Simons Office

Part I

Camila and Lauren shared nervous glances as they were asked to step into Simon's office as a pair rather than with the other girls as a whole. They had always met with the full group before, so it was strange to find them singled out. They took seats on a small couch that faces his desk and they exchanged typical greetings and small talk before Simon's tone turned serious again.

"The other producers and I have been doing some research on your fan base, including polls as well as scans of social media tags. The reason I've asked to speak with you, Lauren and Camila, about this specifically is because the top subject matter involves well...the two of you."

Lauren and Camila gave Simon a blank look, not following where Simon was going yet.

"How much do you know about Camren" Simon asks, prompting the girls to understand the direction of the conversation.

Lauren rolls her eyes and Camila blushes, both more aware of their ship name than they'd like to admit.

"If you're wondering if it's real..." Lauren begins, but Simon raises his hand to stop her.

"No, I'm well aware that neither of you would confirm this rumor to be true. Except I'm now going to ask that you both do exactly that."

The girls look at Simon like he has grown an extra head.

"You want me to tell our fans that I'm dating Lauren?" Camila manages to choke out after her initial shock.

"There's no way I'd take it public intentionally, even if it were true," Lauren adds, attempting to stand her ground.

"Well...I'm not asking you. I'm telling you," Simon declares, looking very relaxed for a man sitting in a room with a gradually increasing tension level.

"What if it jeopardizes our relationships with our family...our friends...our fans? I know you said it's a hot topic, but isn't it wrong to make ourselves out to be someone we're not? Lauren's straight."

"If it will sell records, which I have no doubt it will, then it's worth more than any collateral damage."

"So that's it then? Either I fake a same sex relationship with Camz or what...I'll be out of the band?" Lauren pushes.

"No, you're under contract. But if you want to sell enough records to keep all five of you girls' careers going..." Simon trailed off matter-of-factly.

"Can Lauren and I speak in private for a moment?" Camila requests.

"Certainly. I'll return in a few moments to discuss details of the reveal and expectations moving forward."

Simon exits the office, leaving the girls to process the last five minutes in silence before Lauren finally speaks.

"Are we going to do this?"

Camila nods timidly.

"What choice do we have?"

"There need to be guidelines. Like how long are we going to let people believe we're a couple? Just long enough to get the results he wants, right?"

"Well, the album drops in two months. So at max let's say three months."

"Three months. That should fly on by I guess."

"How far do you think we'll be expected to go with the PDA?"

"Minimal PDA, I hope. Just enough to keep the Camren tag full and creating buzz about us and the album."

"No kissing. No offense, but I don't want to waste my first on a fake girlfriend."

"Definitely no offense taken. Holding hands should be enough," Lauren reasoned.