The Project

Marinette quickly washed her soapy hands on the tea towel beside her before heading to the door. Taking a quick glance at the clock, she saw it was 1pm. Who would be here? She thought to herself. Her question was quickly answered when she opened the door revealing the one and only Adrien Agreste.

It took Marinette a moment to register that he was standing there, looking very handsome she must add. But she did notice, she let out a long line of curse words.

"Adrien!" She shrieked. "I'm so sorry! I completely forgot about the project!!!"

Adrien let out a small chuckle. "It's alright Mari. But do you mind if I come in?"

"Oh yea, of course!"

Marinette led Adrien over to the table where she opened the pantry and packed a few snacks onto a plate. She gestured for them to head up to her room.

"Hey boys!" She yelled as she stared making her way up the stairs. "I have a project I need to work on with a friend so if you need anything we'll be in my room. Okay?"

She waited to hear them shout back in response before opening her trapdoor and making her way over to her desk, where she set down the tray of treats.

Marinette glances over at Adrien sheepishly. "What was our project again?" She asked.

Adrien's smile met his ears, "You can be so forgetful Mari! We have a project about love."

Love. Right. Marinette thought. Great. How I am supposed to do this?

Although it had been a long time since Marinette buried her feelings for Adrien, she still had a soft spot for him - and quite frankly, at this rate, she always would. But that was okay, because long ago she had fallen for her partner. She smiled sadly, her partner.

"Marrriiiii? Maaarrriiiiii?" Adrien waves a hand in front of her face. "Earth to Mari?"

Marinette smiled and quickly apologised for zoning out, blaming it on thinking about possible tasks for the project.

After an hour of chatting and eating snacks, they decided to do their project about the love between friends. Marinette has suggesting Paris' superhero's and their love for each other as partners, but the two agreed it would be best not to seeming they weren't around anymore. Although, Marinette had giggled to herself when Adrien first suggested the friends theme, because, we'll, Marinette was 'just a good friend.' Nevertheless, she had agreed to it.

She was taking notes of their plans in her book when she felt a set of eyes on her. Glancing up, she saw Adrien staring at her.

Clearing her throat, she asked, "Adrien, is everything alright?"

She seemed to have startled him as he jerked back in surprise. "S-sorry." He stuttered our awkwardly. "I was just thinking about something."

"While intensely staring at me?" Marinette smirked, surprised by how the roles had reversed.

A slight pink began to rise up Adrien's neck and paint itself across his cheeks. "W-we'll, yeah. Of course!"

His statement caused Marinette to tilt her head to the side in confusion.

"I-it's just..." Adrien began, "I, ugh... I've never noticed how pretty you are. You remind me of someone else I know, quite a bit actually."

Now t was Marinette's turn to blush. She tried to suppress the hope and excitement in her voice. "What do you mean?"

Adrien smiled sadly. He shuffled from his stomach and sat upright, leaning against the wall. He ran a hand through this soft blonde hair. "There was this girl..." he began, "Her and I were best friends. I liked her, a lot, but she never did return my feelings. She use to say she only saw me as a part-friends!"

Marinette tried to stop the jab of pain that pierced her heart. Adrien liked someone else. She tried to ignore the feeling, because they were friends. That's what she wanted most, more than anything.

However, she found herself saying, "I think I can relate."

Adrien looked up at her, still running his hand through his hair nervously. "A long time ago I knew this boy..." she found her thoughts drifting to Chat. She really missed that dork. "He was my everything, yah know, like my best friend, but someone I couldn't be without?"

Adrien nodded at her, looking like he understood. Marinette was about to continue when Adrien pulled his hand back to her side. Marinette let out a small gasp as she stared at the boy in front of her.

His hair sat just like Chat's. And for a small moment, Marinette could have sworn she saw the mask on him. No, cut it out. You're being ridiculous. She thought. It's all in your head. You're just missing Chat. You can't keep looking for him in every boy you see. But the more she thought about it... the more she could see Chat in Adrien.

When she came back into focus, Adrien was looking at her concerned. But before either of them could say anything, a loud rumble from outside came, followed by a strike of lightning, pellets of rain and screams from the boys downstairs.