Chapter 22 (Pain)

Jacan's POV

I'm going to die.

That one sentence seemed to knock out my will to do anything. I just stayed on the ground and allowed myself to be limp. My chest rising and falling sharply as I tried to quickly gain my composure. Despite what James told me, for some reason, I couldn't believe I was going to get out of here. He was probably lying to me anyway, why would he just allow me to almost die right now if he was trying to save me? How was he going to save me anyway? There was only one of them and from just taking a glance around the room, I noticed there were probably close to 10 of them. There was no way he would get me out of here alive, and if he tried then he would end up dying too.

"Take him to my room," Harry's voice commanded. My heart twisted in fear and my stomach seemed to catch in my throat. His room? A few of the guards turned to each other with confused faces before one stepped forward. I continued laying on the ground despite my pounding heartbeat.

"But sir, the ritual..." Harry spun sharply and pinned him with a glare that made the male step back.

"I am aware, bring him to my room and everyone continue the preparations. I will handle everything else afterward. Now!" he demanded. That sparked a flurry of action from the guards. I was roughly picked up from the ground and dragged after Harry who led me to a separate bedroom in the building.

"No, no wait. Please..." I begged, fear bursting up into my chest. My protest went unheard as I was roughly shoved into the room and I barely had time to look up from the floor to see a bed when Harry's foot came down hard on my neck.

The eyes of a madman stared down at me as my hands came up to alleviate the pressure.

"Now, it's time for the fun." He smirked, his foot crushing down harder.

Edward's POV

My heart pounded as we hid behind trees and looked out towards the mill. Wait for me, Jacan. I'm almost there baby. I called out to him, hoping and praying that he felt even a sliver of my presence to reassure himself. I took a deep breath and turned to the rest of my crew behind me.

"Alright, this is it. I need everyone to do as is followed and we cannot have any mistakes. This is a rescue mission and there is a chance that –that Jacan can die in this and we cannot let that happen. Is that understood?" everyone nodded, and I took another deep breath. "Okay, we need to take a few minutes to scout out the place and I need someone to contact the rest of the group to make sure that they are in place." I quite murmur rose up before my team went into motion. My breathing picked up and I took a deep breath to calm it. Now wasn't the time to get worked up, not with Jacan's life on the line.

"Are you sure about this, Edward?" Alexios said calmly behind me.

I stifled at the tone and spun around with a glare, causing Alexios to take a step back as if I would physically harm him. "Whoa, whoa, wait," he spoke quickly at my glance and held his hands up in a sign of peace, his palms facing outward and showing the scars he had acquired over the years. "I'm not saying we aren't going to go in there, calm down." When I just shifted my weight, my glare not letting up, he sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I really am not saying we shouldn't go in there and rescue Jacan, because we all know that if Jen's life was on the line you would risk everything in your power to rescue her too." I ground my teeth, still not liking where this was headed. "I'm just wondering if it's a good idea for you go in there yourself." A protest balanced on my tongue but Alexios refused, once again, to let me speak. "And, yes, before you say 'you would go in there if it was Jen' and yes, of course, I would; but I also am not the king of this kingdom. If you were to be harmed during the expedition this kingdom would be in ruins. You changed everything when father died and you're making this kingdom a better place. The chances of you getting harmed are also way more, considering you are the king, of course, Harry wouldn't just-"