Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Jake drove me home and this time he did come up to the apartment after he saw Chase was still visiting. Chase was sitting in the living room on the couch while Alec stood off to the side.

I walked over to the couch and rested my butt on the arm rest.

“You ok?” It was Chase who asked.

“Yeah, I’m just so tired. It hit me like a ton of bricks after we left the hospital.” I ran my hands over my face in hopes to clear some of the fog in my eyes and instead left my hands over them like a pillow.

“This isn’t like you.” Chase continued. “You’ve gone days without sleep and not look this drained.”

Someone grabbed my wrists, it was Alec. His big blue eyes stared deep into my brown ones, it startled me at first and then there was this unbelievable calmness. He leaned in closer, so close he stood between my legs. “You have a vampire living inside your head.” He said after the longest seconds of my life. “Have you exchanged blood with one lately?”

I was lost in his eyes and al the swirls of blue lain within them. “What’s lately? It happened about three months ago.”

He managed to move even closer, his breath was a cool breeze across my face. “Perfect timing for the cells to merge. I can feel him.” he dipped his head down to my neck, moving back to do so. I missed the closeness of his body brushing my inner thighs. He inhaled deeply at the curve of my neck and shoulder. “Your pulse is racing.” His hands around my wrists felt it and his lips molded to the pulsing vein of my neck.

“Zoe?” Jake was starting to panic.

“It’s fine, leave him.” I words came out rushed and a little too breathless for what was happening, I should be scared and I wasn’t. I didn’t know if it was Alec, the vampire power inside of him or both, but I felt like I was walking though a dream of air and bliss.

His fangs stayed hidden while he moved his other teeth down the path of my neck. My biggest fear in life had always been to be marked by a vampire, to feel their razor sharp teeth rip into me. There was nothing to stop Alec from biting me now, the temptation should be driving him crazy and yet I didn’t care. I didn’t want him to stop whatever he was doing to my mind. It was a peace I had never known.

Alec stood upright, his hands tightened on my wrists. “Look at me.” I did. “Chase won’t answer my question either.”

I knew exactly what question he meant too. “He knows that’s something I’d rather do myself.” I spoke very slowly, my body felt numb and drunk with intensity.

He pulled me closer onto his chest. “Answer it now. I need to know why I feel something toward you.” The emotions were catching him off guard and no one liked what they didn’t understand.

“You do?” I hated how hopeful that sounded. “What are you feeling?”

He leaned back down and rested his mouth this time near my ear. “I have this urge to carry you back to the bedroom and finish this dance. I haven’t wanted to do that for a very long time.” After the hells he suffered he had been turned off to sex and here I was awaking a part of himself he wasn’t ready to open back up.

Lord help me, I wanted him to do it. I wanted him to carry me off and do everything his power promised as he touched me. I was still aware Chase and Jake was there but I couldn’t get my mind to cooperate and push Alec away. I had to satisfy his question or he’d keep pushing and right now I couldn’t handle it. “You wanted to know how close we were, right? We were best friends and we dated.”

He stepped back to peer down into my eyes. “It’s more than that.”

“I used to hope so.”

Jake stepped forward. “Alec let her go before she passes out.” He touched my shoulder and some of the fog lifted grounding me.

I was able to pull away from the both of them and remember what he had told me. “A vampire in my head? You sure about that?”

Alec was willing to let our conversation end there to be revisited another time, possibly in private. “Yes, he’s filtering some power though you. It feels like the beginning stages of a Confidant Bond.”

I felt like an idiot but beggers couldn’t be choosers and I needed answers. “What is a Confidant Bond?”

It was Chase who answered before anyone else could. This was his forte. “A master vampire takes on a confidant that they share their power and mind with. Lucas fits the bill. When a master vampire reaches a certain age they need to take on a confidant, their powers become too much, it could break them down mentally so they take on a human servant of sorts and share their power, like storage for when they need it.”

I laughed, I couldn’t help it. “This is insane. He started the process of a bond and masked it under the ruse of trying to help me? I’m going to kill him.” I could not be tied down to a vampire, especially if that vampire was Lucas. It wasn’t happening.

Alec jumped in again. “You can’t harm him without harming yourself.”

I forced myself to look at him. “I’m a little clueless if you hadn’t noticed. Speak to me like I’m slow.”

His lips tugged as if to form a smile but they stopped short of actually doing so. “A servant to a vampire is also as intimate as turning them. You have to exchange blood and that creates something like parent and child. You can sense their emotions, you can feel their pain and vice versa. The confidant bond is the strongest there is between a human and vampire. The confidant is his lifeline to staying alive.” He explained in a soft voice that made the whole thing sound almost beautiful.

I glanced at all three of them. “Why me? Lucas knows what I do for a living and that this is the last thing I’d ever agree to.”

“That’s why he tricked you.” Jake offered, anger danced along his grey eyes. “Once he’s in your system there’s no getting rid of it. The more the bond grows the less you’ll be able to deny it.” he looked away from my face and added softly, “Like it did with me and you.”

I didn’t like the guilt across his face. “That happened because of something that was already there between us. It took two of us, it wasn’t your fault and I’ve never blamed you for it. Don’t start blaming yourself. This thing with Lucas doesn’t have the same side effect is it?” I couldn’t picture needing to sleep with Lucas nightly. The thought of having to do so terrified me.

That got him to look at me again. My fear on the subject amused him. “No.”

“Oh good, because I can’t deal with two of you. So now what?”

“The bond is incomplete.” Alec knew a lot on the subject. Someone taught him well and I started to become more interested in that than my own problems. “It’s why you have headaches and you’re abnormally tired. There is no balance and he’s taking too much from you.” He was starting to get comfortable in the house. He finally took a seat on the couch; on the opposite side from where Chase still sat.

Jake laid it out in simpler terms. “You’re going to have go to him. You need to feed from each other again to balance out the scales.”