Don't Look Back In Anger (pt. 2)

Start from the beginning

"Thank you Gwyneth, I really appreciate it.", Wendee mumbled looking down at her food.

"You're not hungry?", I asked noticing she seemed uneasy.

"No, not really. I just feel sick."

"Like physically?"

"Yeah and emotionally."

"How so?"

"Well for one, I really miss my mum.", she started. "Things haven't been the same since my parents got divorced. We all used to lived in LA together but once they separated I moved with my mum and sister to Vegas. Then when she decided she wanted to move to New York, my sister and I moved back to LA to be with my dad as we didn't want to move to the other side of the country. She got offended that we didn't want to move with her and told us to never call her again. We haven't been in contact with her since we moved in with my dad. When we were at the airport Sydney got on a plane to New York to look for her, instead of coming with us here."

"How long has it been since you last spoke to her?"

"7 years."

"Wow. I'm so sorry.", I replied. "Does your father have any information on her whereabouts?"

"Nope they're not in contact. But we still keep in touch with my grandmother, so Sydney should be able to find our mum through her."

"Divorces are tough.", I said trying to comfort her. "Especially on the children."

"That's why I admire the way you and Chris co-parent.", she admitted. "Even though you're not together anymore you both make sure to spend time with the kids and put aside your differences for them."

"Does anyone else know about this?"

"Just my sister and Gavin."

Talking with Wendee really showed me another side of her. Although I had known her parents were separated, I had never known the severity of the situation and the effect it had on her. In some way she kinda reminded me of Alex as both girls lost a mother figure. But the difference is Alex had friends to lean on while Wendee dealt with the situation on her own. If both girls sat down and had a chat, I think they'd realize they're not that different from each other. I know this conversation started off as a favour for Alex but now I'm beginning to realize that I need to be a mother figure to both her and Wendee. They need a woman in their life that they can trust and come to when they're having conflicts.

"That's why I vow to be a better mother to my child than my mother ever was to me.", Wendee muttered looking away.

"Well fortunately for you, you don't have to worry about the responsibility any time soon.", I answered even though I had already known her secret.

"Gwyneth.", she whispered softly.

"Yes?"

"I'm pregnant."

"Wendee, are you serious?", I asked pretending to sound shocked.

"Yes. I'm sorry."

"Did you take a test?"

"No, I'm scared. I haven't been on my pill in 4 months because money's tight and haven't had my period in 2 months. We used to protection so I don't know what happened. I don't know what to do.", her voice croaked. She was on the verge of tears.

"Oh come here!", I said pulling her into a hug. "Everything's gonna be alright. I promise. But you have to take a test."

She began to cry in my arms so I quickly paid our tab and led her out of the restaurant. Once we got back to the hotel, I bought 3 different tests from the on site store and brought her back to my room. I was waiting patiently outside my bathroom when she opened the door and to let me in. Together we waited for the tests to develop and all 3 came back.....

To be continued.....

Nah I'm just kidding. ;)

"(+)"

She began to cry again looking more distraught than she did at the restaurant. I held her in my arms, assuring her everything would be okay. Eventually she said she wanted some alone time and I told her she could stay in my room for as long as she needed.

I decided to make reservations for the two of us at the spa figuring it would be a great way for her to relieve some stress. Though on my way there, I was stopped in the hallway by none other than Alex.

"How did it go?", she asked eagerly.

"It went pretty well, actually."

"Well...is she pregnant?"

"Honestly Alex, I think that's irrelevant. Our conversation at breakfast made me realize that I care deeply about both of you. I want to be the best mother figure I can because I think it's important that you both have a woman you can confide in. I get that you have Gavin's best intention at heart and I have Wendee's. There's more to her situation than you know or think you know and out of respect for her, I'm not gonna tell you anything."

"But what about our deal?", she said crossing her arms.

"I already paid you. The Wendee thing was never a part of of it.", I reminded her.

"You wouldn't have even gone out with her if it wasn't for me."

"And you're right. I'm glad you told me. But I think you two need to have a chat. You guys are more alike than you realize and maybe it'll help you two get along better."

"No way in hell", she hissed before walking back to her room.

"Alex-"

"I can't believe I trusted you!", she shouted slamming the door.