Guilt

"Francis," I gasp in shock, approaching the pale vampire who is still feeding on the teenage boy. The vampire is too thirsty to be aware of her surrounding as I slowly stalk towards her position. 

The moment her vampire instincts alert her of me, she snarls at my direction, staking her feeding claim. I growl back in response. 

Due to the fact that I had no idea of the vampires' existence before this, I have no idea how to restrain my turned-vampire friend safely. And also there's the problem of her first 10 victims. What do I have to do with this mess?

Francis's head jerk back, as if shocked about something. She shakes her head violently, grabbing her hair tightly, coating her hair with the blood of her victims. 

"Oh God," she whimpers, staring in horror at what's left of the teenage boy in front of her. She looks down at her bloody arms and back to the dead body.

"Francis," I call out gently.

"Bree? What... did I do? Did I... The boys..." She looks distraught as her eyes sweep towards all her fallen victims surrounding her. It doesn't help that her clothes are covered with blood.

"Are you in control?" I ask, watching her like a hawk in case she's going to attack me like a rabid animal.

Her red eyes are wide and no coherent words come out from her mouth. She sobs in realisation at her doings, guilt eating her up. Blood pools around her sitting form, coating the earth below her. 

"Oh Francis," I whisper, hugging my friend as she cries blood onto my shoulder. I ignore my wolf ranting at the back of my neck about letting myself be vulnerable to a predator. My wolf can be so stubborn sometimes, but it's the reason why we are proud to call ourselves pack warriors. 

"I killed them all," Francis speaks the truth out. "Their blood drew me in, I can't stop it... The longer I tried to get in control, the hallucination worsens... she told me it's the only way..."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Who is she?"

Unfortunately, Francis is too distraught to answer my question as she keeps talking about her guilty she is. I sit in the pool of blood with Francis as she cries out her guilt until she falls asleep. 

Once she's out, I take out my phone and dial the number I haven't called in a long time.

"Alice, I need your help," I say, scanning the area once again.

"Bree, I thought you're going to reach Meadow Falls by now?" she asks. "There's still no word about Brad. Alpha is trying his best to locate him."

My heart beats faster at the thought. With all the vampire drama, I've almost forgotten about the reason I've left Gurney City in the first place.

"I was held up -"

"Another secret mission?" she drawls. "You know, if my sister or mum finds out about your last mission, I'll be in so much trouble."

I roll my eyes at the future Beta's younger sister. Many people at our pack may have thought that she's cute and innocent, however, I know better than to fall for that doe eyes. Alice Goldsmith may be even more of value than her rightful Beta sister because Alice knows her tech. 

"I'm currently in Great York, and I need you to find a secluded area away from civilisation. Any abandoned house, factory, or land, just as long as there's a roof and it's away from humans," I order. "Oh and also the nearest hardware store. Send me the coordinates."

Her loud footsteps can be heard across the phone as she runs towards where her computer is.

"You do know that Google Maps can help you with the location of the hardware store, right?" 

I roll my eyes at her sassy reply. "Well I'd rather you do it for me since you're already finding for a location for me."

"I demand a free lunch and dinner for this," Alice says and then hang up.

The reason why I trust her with the small jobs I give her is because she's trying to earn money and she loves the idea of helping me with 'secret missions'. At this rate, I'm probably gonna teach her to be an FBI Agent.

I carry Francis into my truck and change into less-bloody clothes. After a little shopping at the hardware store and digging the bodies deep underground, I left the bloody camp bare for the police to find. It's best for the parents of the boys to at least have some sort of closure for those boys. 

Alice found a small abandoned house in the middle of the woods, so I secure Francis in one of the rooms and let her sleep in peace. 

"Vampire?" Alice asks me through the phone when I ask her to find details about vampires. Since no werewolves know of their existence, we can only rely on the Internet for possible clues. I want to avoid this killing event from happening again. It's bad enough that my wolf is still nagging at me to kill my friend.

"Yes, and ways to find a blood bag," I add. I remind myself to ask Francis later on whether the thought of drinking animal blood would disgust her.

"Are you okay, Bree?"

I roll my eyes again. Seriously, whenever I contact Alice, I will roll my eyes at least once. That girl sure does know how to make me feel better.

"Secret mission, Alice," I remind her not to ask too much questions. 

That day, I spend the day reading articles on vampires and learn ways to buy bloodbags. 

"Bree?" Francis's groggy voice wakes me up in the middle of my reading. "What are you doing?"

I nod towards the stack of printed materials in front of me. "Information that may be related to your... condition."

She sighs tiredly. "I'm a vampire."

"And I'm a werewolf," I try to assure her. "We are not humans anymore."

Francis thinks for a while before she says, "We need to head to Meadow Falls. Your brother is still missing."

I look at her as if she grows another head. "But we need to ensure that you won't attack anyone else." I wince at how blunt I sound. 

Francis winces as well. "I will be fine as long as I'm not surrounded by humans. Your blood doesn't appeal to me as much as those boys were... speaking of, what did you do with... the bodies?"

"You don't have to worry about it," I say sternly, eyeing her with force to ensure she doesn't try to get more information from me.

"They were so young and I..."

"Francis," I say sharply. "Stop. You couldn't help yourself. You didn't have a choice."

"I had a choice!" she screams back. "I chose her way."

Again with the her

"Who is this her?" I ask.

"I don't know! She's just there, as a voice. It's either them or people I love. She made me choose!" 

I step towards her, intend to assure her. Francis backs away from me. 

"I need a minute to think. Don't follow me."

With that, she flees out of the house in panic and fear, carrying the guilt of ripping 10 innocent lives.