Winter Heat

****Autumn****

I tighten my scarf around my neck, trying to block as much of the winter weather off my body as possible. School was over an hour ago, the same exact time my mom was suppose to be here to pick me up. But here I am.......standing here........on the corner........waiting. Honestly, I should get used to this. My mom hasn't really paid much attention to me ever since she married her rich new husband, also my step dad. She's been too busy maxing out all his credit cards and going out with her friends, bragging about how her life is better than theirs.

After about a minute or so, I finally give up and start walking home. This happens almost every day. I would call child services, but I really don't have the heart to do that to my mother. Maybe I shouldn't blame her for not paying any attention to me. She did get pregnant with me at 17 and had to work really hard to pay the bills AND put food on the table. I guess she deserves to relax and not have to worry about anything for a while. Besides, I'm fourteen. I can take care of myself.

I look at my watch; 4:51. Michael, my step dad, should be home now, and my mom is probably out with friends. Not wanting to be alone with Michael , I turn around and head towards the library. I always find peace being surrounded by books. Sort of like.....a sanctuary for me. A place to escape everything.

My cell-phone rang in my backpack. I hurriedly open the side flap and grabbed the phone. Fuck! It was Michael.

"Hello?"

"Where are you?"

"I'm heading towards the library. Mom didn't pick me up from school again."

"I'm coming to get you, so stay there." He hung up.

I'm suddenly overcome with fear. I hate being alone with Michael . I don't even like to look at him. He punishes me for the wrong doings of my mother, and the punishment is not the average.

I think about running away, but then the thought was instantly shot down. I didn't have any money, no place to go, and I didn't have any clothes. I could only obey his command.

Tears start to role down my cheeks. My life is so screwed up. I always look at the other girls at my school, thinking to myself "I wish I had their life". A life without loneliness, a life with a loving mother, a life where I'm accepted and important, a life without the................I stop my train of thought. I try to make myself not think about the last part, but I just can't. How can I when it's been happening every day since May of last year?

A black Lamborghini pulls up in front of me. I quikly wipe away my tears, thanking the heavens that the car windows are tinted so he couldn't see me crying. Cleaning away the last of my tears, I muster up my courage and open the car door taking a seat in the back. I put my seat belt on and place my backpack in the seat next to mine. When I look up, I notice Michael turned around in his seat staring at me. Oh God.

"How was your day at school?" He asks.

"Fine." I reply.

"Oh, well that's nice. You seem nervous. Anything we need to talk about? Your face is very pale."

"No, it's just really cold outside."

"'Kay, I'll turn on the heater. That way, we can warm up that beautiful body of yours, eh?"

"Thanks."

"No problem, love."

He gives me a playful smile, squeezes my knee seductively, and turns around. Soon, the car starts to move forward. I don't ask where we're going. I know the consequences for asking questions.

I lay back in my seat, spacing out like I always do. Hopefully, we will just be running a small errand and returning home. Otherwise, I'm in trouble.