Chapter Eighteen: A Thousand Steps Forward

Start from the beginning

"Whatever, man. I'm not going to push her into something she's not ready for, and at least she knows how I feel now." But as I walked down the front steps of the school, my steps slowed as a thought hit me. A moment later and I was turning back around with an idea in mind. Jessica knows how I feel already; however, that doesn't mean I still can't woo her.

After all, I know how to treat a girl right.

* * *

I wasn't sure if I should have been expecting another pillow assault as I knocked on the door of the orphanage. Whoever came at me with one sure wasn't getting any candy from the bag I was currently holding.

Jessica opened the door, surprise lighting her features. "Reece? What are you doing here?" she questioned.

I raised the bag up for her to see. "Halloween's coming up, and I have some candy for the kids. Mark had bought them for his classes, but he said something about not all classes deserving it, so I brought them here instead."

"And what did Mark say when you took a plastic bag full of candy out with you?" she asked, amused as she took the candy from me.

"That I'm obviously going to feed them to the docks at the pond," I answered and offered her a joking grin. Jessica stepped back and opened the door wider for me to step in. I shoved my hands in my pockets, checking the area for any peaking heads or pillows. Instead, however, the girls were in the living room, all busy with worksheets and books. They stopped as I paused under the doorframe.

The silence that followed was a whole new level of uncomfortable as all the girls stared at me, still as statues. Darcy stood up then, and instantly ran at me with her arms wide open. With my eyes wide, I bent down to scoop the little girl in my arms, feeling completely stunned as she wrapped her arms around my neck and buried her head on my shoulder.

"Hey, kid," I greeted with a tinge of confusion as I rubbed her back.

Darcy pulled away and looked at me with those wide doe eyes of hers. The look on her face could only be described as one of a scolded child. "We're sorry, Reece," she said softly, frowning with guilt.

"We?"

A few of the girls shuffled to their feet, other leaving their spot on the couches to stand before me. Jessica left my side and joined them. "All of us are sorry," she said.

Kristy was careful to keep her face blank and emotionless as she spoke, "We –" Jessica cleared her throat. " – I should have never judged you on a few suspicions and observations without getting to know you first," she corrected, "and I'm sorry that I threw all that in your face the other day."

"I don't want you to be mad at us," Darcy added. "I'm really, really sorry, Reece."

"I'm not sorry for anything," piped Bella, shrugging, "I always knew you were a good guy."