Extra Chapter : Birthday

Start from the beginning

"Anyway, why were you looking for Ayato? Don't you know where he is?" Kaneki asked, and to his surprise, Hinami's expression turned from scared to worried. "W-Well, actually, I don't." Hinami said, biting her lower lip. "He's been avoiding me lately, and he missed many of my phone calls as well. And there's one time when we were talking on the phone, I heard a woman's voice from his side..." Hinami muttered, her head dropped. Suddenly, she looked up at Kaneki. "Onii-chan, do you think... Ayato-kun is... cheating on me...?" Asked Hinami. "AYATO IS WHAT???" Touka shouted as she sprang to her feet, pulled Kaneki back, and stood in front of Hinami.

"Ayato is what???" Touka shouted again, but before Hinami could answer her, another voice sounded at the stairs. "What about me now stupid sis?? Your horrible scream can demolish this whole building, you know??" Ayato said as he reached the second floor. "DAMN YOU GODDAMN FREAKING DUMBASS IDIOT!!!!!" Touka sprinted toward him before he could say another word and jump-kicked him hard in the stomach. Everything seemed to have turned into slow motion when Touka's foot sank into Ayato's stomach, and the two flew down the stairs, followed by a loud crash.

"Touka-chan!! Ayato-kun!!" Yoshimura, who was watching Kaneki and Hinami talk, hurried out the room and went downstairs to check if the two were alright. "Onee-chan's so scary!!" Hinami shouted as she clutched Kaneki's arms. "...I'm fortunate to have never get kicked that way..." Said Kaneki in a feeble voice. "Damn it why didn't I had my phone on!" Nishiki muttered somewhere behind Kaneki.

"I-I think I'll go back to my room and do some studies now, onii-chan... I'll talk with Ayato-kun later, thank you very much!" Hinami gave Kaneki a quick bow, waved at everyone in the tool room over Kaneki's shoulder, and went back to her room hastily. Kaneki stood there staring at the empty wall for a few seconds and snapped back. "A-Ah, alright, see you in a bit." He called, and closed the door. "Close call, Kaneki." Hide said, patting Kaneki, who was sitting down, on his back. "Yeah, thank god she didn't ask any further." Kaneki said, panting slightly. "It'd be all ruined if she finds out that we're secretly preparing a birthday party for her." He said, and everyone nodded.

It had been around two weeks since the little discussion was held, and Hinami was now informing Touka about her days with Ayato. She said that Ayato was spending most of his time in the library, working hard for his finals in his university, Kamii. "You sure he's telling the truth?" Touka spoke into her phone. "Yeah, onee-chan, don't worry." Hinami assured her. "Alright then, if you say so." Touka said, smiling. "Thank you, onee-chan." Hinami said. "No worries, and tell us at once if Ayato is really doing something bad." Touka said, and Hinami giggled. "See you, then." Said Touka, and she hang up.

"They'll be fine, I'm sure about it." Kaneki said, bring a cup of coffee to Touka. "Mn, thanks." She said, taking the cup. "Wow, you're getting better." She said. She sat down in an empty seat, looking around her own cafe, :re. It was closed now. The streetlights outside shone mildly through the large window, casting shadow over half of the cafe. Kaneki sat down beside her, holding a book. He put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer.

"Time passes really fast." Kaneki said softly, his eyes moving up and down as he read. "You sound like an old man." Touka commented, and Kaneki chuckled. "Yeah, I realize that." Said Kaneki. The two remained silence, while Touka sipped her coffee and Kaneki read his book. "Let's go to bed now." Kaneki broke the silence about half an hour later when he finished the book, but Touka didn't respond to him. Kaneki looked down at her and found out that she'd fallen asleep on his shoulder. Kaneki smiled, put down the book, and picked Touka up gently. "Tomorrow's going to be a very extraordinary day." Kaneki said softly and, carrying Touka, went back to their room.

The next day Hinami woke up so abruptly that she thought she'd only fallen asleep for a few seconds. "Is it time already...?" She muttered, sitting up in her bed. "Oi, sleepy head, are you up yet?" There was a knock on the door, and Ayato's voice came from the other side of it. "Almost..." She replied, yawning. "Then you'd better hurry up. Breakfast's already ready." Ayato said. Hinami yawned again and got out her bed. Soon, she finished her routine and got changed and went downstairs.