The Last Vampire: Part 12

Mikhail stood outside of Ella’s bedroom as she rested from her tiring adventure. Her escapade took its toll on her by knocking her unconscious. She was full of pain, moaning in her unconscious state as her dreams wreaked her mind with the deeds that she had committed. His body was also still sore from her fall.

Footsteps sounded down the hall as Malerik came to speak with Mikhail.

“When she wakes up, you’re going to have to talk to her.”

Mikhail glared over at Malerik with fire in his eyes. “It isn’t my place. Nor is it your place to tell me what to do.”

Malerik’s eyes fell to the floor, Mikhail’s soon casting down as well.

“Malerik, I know you mean well, but you won’t understand the customs between Ella and me. You may be a demon, but you were not born during my time. You serve me for I am your elder by many centuries.” Pausing, he gestured to Ella’s room. “I serve her for I am bound to her as all demons were bound to our vampires at birth. She feels pain, I feel pain. She feels sadness, I feel sadness. Anything she feels, anything that happens to her, happens to me. I am bound body and soul to her till the day I die.”

Confused, Malerik questioned him, “Then why not kill her? And rid yourself of your chains?”

A flash off anger rushed into Mikhail’s heart as he pinned the young demon against the wall. “Don’t you DARE offer her death as a solution. There are no chains binding me to her and even if I didn’t love her as I have grown to throughout her life, I would NEVER kill one of her kind. One of such a powerful and damn near extinct race should be protected. Especially her!”

Mikhail stopped his lecturing, knowing that in Malerik’s mind, keeping Ella around was a safety hazard to everyone in the castle. Sighing, Mikhail put a firm hand on Malerik’s shoulder, pulling him off of the wall.

“I need you to keep an eye on Ryan for me.” Before Malerik could protest, Mikhail quickly continued. “I’ll have Nora collect some blood for him until I can get around to helping him adjust.”

In a small voice, almost a whisper, Malerik asked, “Wouldn’t it just be easier to kill him?”

“Death isn’t always the answer, some day you will realize that. He is the first newborn vampire in thousands of years and he needs a guardian.” Pausing, Mikhail forced him to look into his eyes. “He needs a demon guardian. Malerik, you must take up our ancient duties as a demon and protect him. I will search for another one of us if you wish it, but I only trust you to take on this task.”

Looking away, Malerik gave him a silent nod. “I accept this responsibility.”

Smiling, Mikhail grabbed the back of Malerik’s head and rested his forehead against his own. “Thank you. Thank you for taking up this responsibility.”

Still not looking into Mikhail’s eyes, Malerik questioned his agreement.

“Don’t worry Malerik, you won’t be bound to Ryan as I am to Ella. You won’t be soul bound, just blood bound. You will feel his pain, but not as strongly as I feel Ella’s. You won’t even sense his emotion throughout all hours of the day.” Trailing off, Mikhail looked away for a moment before continuing. “We will perform the ceremony tonight.”

Without a word, Malerik turned and left to do as he was told and check on Ryan.

Mikhail waited outside of Ella’s door for an hour before going down .and seeing Nora. The elf was happy to see him as usual, thinking that he was there to check up on the human female.

“Rachel, the human, she’s alright. I cleared her memory of this morning.”

“Thank you Nora.”

“And. . .” She said, pausing to make sure he listens to her. “I placed a memory of Ryan breaking up with her as well. So she doesn’t come looking for him. Let’s just say that I made it pretty bad.”

Patting her on the shoulder, Mikhail smiled. “Thank you Nora, you are brilliant.”

Blushing, she shook her head, backing away from him a foot or two. She felt uncomfortable standing so close to him, feeling as though her height was an insult to him. In the elvish colonies, or at least the one that she came from, the superior’s head should always be higher than anyone else’s. Much like the human’s Chinese culture.

Shaking his head, Mikhail tried to reassure Nora. “You know I don’t mind your height.” He said, looking up at Nora, taking in her full 7 foot presence towering over him by at least a good eight inches. He actually quite liked having someone so tall around. It’s refreshing.

“I know you don’t sir, but I do.”

She politely bowed, peeking a short glance at him before turning to leave.

Grasping her arm, Mikhail stopped her. “I have one more task for you Nora.”

Giving a slight nod, she let him know he had her attention.

“I need you to hold a blood run.”

“A what?”

Sighing, Mikhail scratched his head. “Is that not what the humans call it? Where they willingly sit there and let a stranger with a needle drain their life source?”

Laughing, Nora put a hand to her chest to calm herself. “You mean a blood drive sir? Those strangers are called nurses.” Still giggling, she nodded. Trying to ignore his embarrassed blush. “I’ll hold one. Through an acquaintance though. I wouldn’t want to scare your guests now would I?”

Not wanting to embarrass him any further, Nora left, her cascading but-length red hair bouncing in her wake as she disappeared into the darkness.

Having no reason to stay, Mikhail let the darkness engulf himself as he reappeared at his desk upstairs. With all of the hell going on, he decided to finally catch up with the current human culture, deciding it was bad that an elf knows more about humans than a demon who runs almost a dozen human businesses.