Before School Madness

Start from the beginning

"Atticus is getting the front because he's the only one out of you three not fighting." I say while sitting down in the drivers seat.

"Yes!" Atticus smiles from the back seat, undoing his seatbelt and crawling over the middle compartment to sit in the passenger seat with a smile on his face.

Briar and Grey both groan, walking over and getting in the back next to Mariah who was kicking her feet in her own little world.

"This is so stupid." Grey murmurs while doing up his seatbelt in the middle seat, Briar taking the window side.

"What's stupid is that you both think annoyingly arguing over the front seat is going to get you the front seat." I say while placing the key in ignition and and starting up the car.

"It's not fair." Briar murmurs under her breath.

"Well there's four of you so things aren't always going to be fair muppet." I say with my hand on the back of Atticus' seat as I reversed the car out of the driveway.

She rolls her eyes and looks out the window, looking just like Amelia.

I pull out of the driveway and rip down the road to get these kids to school on time. The drive to school was quite short, short enough that they couldn't take the bus, but long enough that they'd never make it to school on time by walking. The car ride was pretty quiet because everyone was always very observant when they were in the car. That's the one thing all the kids had in common, they all loved to look out the window in car rides.

We pull up with a two minutes to spare. They knew the drill because three out of the four children hopped out of the vehicle in lightning speed before I even put the bloody thing in park. Mariah's kindergarten drop off was at the other end of the school, but I wasn't worried because class starts ten minutes later for her.

"Bye dad!" Atticus, Briar and Grey all yelled one after another while slamming the doors behind them and running away from the car.

"Have a good day!" I shout back out the window as Grey gives me a thumbs up while they all run around the corner and into the school entrance.

I start driving down to the kindergarten section, pulling into the parking lot and jumping out. I jog over to Mariah's door and open it up, lifting her out of the car seat. I carry her in my one arm, holding her backpack in the other down by my side. I shut the door with my hip and pace down the sidewalk to the entrance.

She could walk herself but we were on a time crunch and her little legs made getting somewhere a lot slower.

"Alright princess you need to tell me where to go because I never do this." I say while walking into the school to smell glue and crayons. The hallways were nearly empty due to how we were almost late.

"Down that hallway." She point as I carry her, following her points. All the coat hooks were literally at the height of my hip, I felt like a literal giant in this hallway.

"Why isn't mummy taking me?" She asks as I hurried down the hall with my sunglasses still on.

"Mummy has a headache." I answer.

"Why does she have a headache?" She then asks while pointing at the next hallway for me to go down.

"Because she's sick." I say while turning down that hallway.