Before School Madness

Start from the beginning

"Oh god but that means I have to bring Mariah into the estrogen pit of single mothers." I groan, referring to kindergarten drop off.

"You'll be fine, just get her in then get out." She says like it's nothing.

"But they've never met me.. and you tell me all the time they cling to fathers that show up there." I say in nervousness.

"You'll be fine." She chuckles, grabbing the lunches and bringing them to the front door where all the kids stand. Briar was half asleep, leaning her head against the wall with her eyes shut. Atti and Grey were arguing and Mariah was standing there smiling at me.

"Okay dad's gonna drive you today so you're getting in his car." Amelia stands next to the door.

"Shotgun!" Grey yells while sprinting to the exit.

"No way!" Briar runs behind him, suddenly awake.

Grey runs by Amelia and jumps up to peck her cheek.

"Bye mum!" They all shout one by one, running through the door after kissing their mothers cheek and grabbing their lunch pale from her hands.

"I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you." She repeats quickly four times with their kisses on her cheek, making sure they don't go near her mouth cause of her cold.

They all ran out the door, Mariah being the last because she was the slowest and smallest.

"Rest okay?" I walk by and peck her forehead, placing my hand on her lower back. I felt so bad when she became sick like this.

"Mhmm, now go before they're late for the third time this week." She smiles and smacks my ass to hurry me out of the house.

I jog out the door with my keys, seeing them all standing outside the car, waiting for me to unlock it.

"Dad hurry!" Atticus says, looking at his wrist watch to tell the time. I unlock the car and they all scatter in, Mariah waiting patiently by her door for me to help her in because she was too small still to climb into her seat.

I walk over and open her door, taking off her backpack. Briar and Grey argue over the front seat while I lift Mariah into the car seat, leaning over to buckle her up.

"I'm the oldest! I get shotgun!" Briar shouts while they both wrestle to get into the front seat.

"So?! You got it last time!" Grey says while trying to wedge himself into the seat that Briar so desperately wanted.

I roll my eyes while ignoring them, still buckling up Mariah who kicked her little feet and smiled at me.

"Why can't they all be cooperative like you?" I chuckle.

"Tell me about it." She giggles with the sass she was born with.

I grin and pull back, shutting the car door and walking to the driver seat, seeing how Briar and Grey were still viciously fighting over the passenger seat. Atticus was sitting in the back middle seat next to Mariah, watching the madness go down between his two siblings. Like I said before, he wasn't a fighter.

"Alright both of you are in the back!" I order.

"What!" They both say at the same time in shock, freezing their fight. "There is only one more seat in the back? How can we both sit there?" Briar states in confusion.