Chapter 6: Take Me Home

Start from the beginning

"Cindy-Sue, this is Mackenzie Lauren," Ryan says.

"Mackenzie, I am such a fan. Please call me Cindy," Cindy says, extending her hand. "When Ryan told me he was having dinner with the rest of the cast I begged him to bring me. He said you weren't coming, but I'm so glad you did."

I don't know what I expected Ryan's date to be like, but it isn't this sweet and genuine woman in front of me. Apart from being warm and friendly, Cindy is also startlingly attractive, with big green eyes, and shoulder length blonde hair that curls slightly at the ends. It would have been easier for me to see Ryan with someone else, someone fake and superficial.

Someone he would get tired of quickly and wouldn't keep around. Will Cindy be hanging around for a while?

My heart twists again, a sensation that is becoming increasingly familiar when it comes to Ryan. I loathe that feeling. I'm not supposed to feel possessive of a man who doesn't belong to me. Even as I shake Cindy's hand, envy winds around my chest and squeezes until I struggle to breathe. It doesn't matter if Cindy and Ryan only last three months. It will still be more time than I will ever have with him.

"And you can call me Mac," I say to her as I take my seat between Jazz and Matt, opposite Ryan.

I pick up the menu and scan the list of alcoholic beverages available. I bypass the wine and go straight for the cocktail. I need something stronger tonight. I need liquid courage and a chance to forget the man opposite me.

I turn to Jazz. "I was thinking about hitting a club tonight. Are you up for it?"

My best friend looks surprised for a second, before that surprise quickly turns to excitement. "Hell yes. I've been asking you to come clubbing with me forever."

"I know," I say.

"You didn't even want to come out to dinner when I asked you about it. What gives?"

I think about the condoms sitting in my handbag. "I need...a distraction."

"Distraction from what?" Matt asks.

Suddenly aware of Ryan's eyes burning a hole in my head, I shrug. "My boredom."

"Can I come?" Matt asks.

"Count me in," Brad says. "You know I'd never say no to a chance to dance."

"You mean to score," Matt corrects him.

Great. I was hoping that tonight would end up being a girl's night, but now Matt and Brad will both be coming.

"You in?" I ask Vanessa.

"Sure," Vanessa says. "I won't make it a late one since I need to be in the studio first thing in the morning, but I'll come out for a couple of hours."

"Excellent," I nod.

An awkward silence descends as I go back to studying my menu. I haven't asked Ryan and Cindy if they wanted to join us. Honestly, I don't want them to, not when the distraction I need is from Ryan himself. But as the silence grows around the table, so does my guilt. I know that if I don't extend them an offer now, my friends will start to wonder. Hopefully Ryan will say no.

"Do you guys, um, want to join us?"

"We'd love to," Cindy says to me, looking relieved. "I mean, if you don't mind us tagging along."

I give her a strained smile and lie through my teeth. "No, I don't mind."

"Providing Ryan wants to go of course," Cindy says, darting a look at Ryan.

I turn back to my menu, and hold my breath as I wait for his answer. Please say no. Please say no. Please say no.

"What could be more fun than helping Mac find a distraction?" Ryan asks.