Chapter Thirty Two

Start from the beginning

"Still, it is a shinobi's duty to fight for their nation until death, they should never leave a battle unless they either killed the enemy or is killed themselves. That is the rules." Kakashi insisted stubbornly. It was strange how Naruto reacted in the lot in Minato's opinion but he still did not believe that the blonde had harmful intentions against the Leaf or any of its shinobi - except maybe Danzo, he didn't seem to like the man very much. But then again, who did?

Obito sighed heavily. "Why is it always about the rules with you huh?! There are more important things!" he exclaimed heatedly.

"Like what?"

"Like your comrades!"

"What are you two arguing about this time?" all four ninja jumped in surprise as the object of their discussion soundlessly slid into the open seat between Kakashi and Minato.

"None of your business." Kakashi grumbled moodily. Naruto shot a concerned glance his way before looking to Obito in expectation. Ever since their argument the other day about Kakashi's father, the boy had been even colder and more distant, and that was saying something.

Obito looked the side where the window was, a pointed way of saying he wasn't going to talk about it. Naruto let out a tired breath out his nose and rested his head in his hand.

"Your constant disagreements over everything is going to affect the team as a whole. It will eventually bring you down along with your other comrades if you don't find a better way to sort out your differences." he reasoned.

The Uchiha scoffed. "Kakashi doesn't give a damn about his comrades, only the rules. It's always, 'the rules say this' and 'the rules say that'." Obito complained while giving his teammate a bitter look.

"The rules are important, though I suppose that isn't something you would understand." Kakashi shot back returning the bitter glare.

"What is that supposed to mean?!"

"It means that you're a lousy shinobi."

Obito rose from his seat and grabbed Kakashi by the collar. "Say that again!"

Naruto had to supress the wave of protectiveness he felt for the Hatake - especially when Obito was the threat. Luckily, Minato chose this moment to intervene.

"Stop it." he demanded, his voice like steel. "You are drawing unwanted attention." the entirety of the restraunt had their eyes on their table. Kakashi's looked uncaringly at the onlookers while Obito still glared at him, not letting him go.

"Obito. . ." Minato growled warningly. Obito waited a few moments before harshly letting the chunnin go.

"Asshole." he muttered under his breath.

"Loser." Kakashi muttered back. Naruto pinched the bridge of his nose. He peeked at Minato from the corner of his eye, the man looked relieved that the boys had stopped but rather unsure what to do next. Naruto though, had an idea. He gave Minato a look as if asking permission to proceed. Minato caught on and gave a nod of consent. Even if Naruto was technically part of the team as a jounin, it was still Minato's team and he didn't wish to over step his bounds any more than he may have already.

"Why don't you all come with me?" he said, his voice telling them it wasn't really a request. They all stood - hesitantly at first but more sure after Minato gave them a nudge - and after laying down payment for their meals and Rin and Minato profusely apologizing to the staff, the group followed him out.

Half way there and Kakashi took the lead, knowing already where the teen intended them to go. Naruto allowed him to and fell back to walk beside Rin.

"I know your worried about them." he told her, tilting his head in Obito and Kakashi's direction. She looked up at him with eyes that didn't hide anything.

"What Sensei said before, about their behavior bringing them down, what of it gets one them hurt one day? What if it gets them killed? I don't know what to do." she confessed. Naruto looked ahead of them in thought. Was this how Sakura had felt when they were genin and he and Sasuke had been just the same? He thought of it and went with the advice he remembered their sensei giving her.

"It won't be good to hear but I think you should understand that there is nothing you can do. They must find a way to co-exist on their own. I can't promise that they will always be okay, sometimes it takes the hard way for two people as stubborn as they are to figure it out. Just be there for them, they will get it eventually." he told her. Still Rin looked down with a creased brow.

"How can you be sure? That they will get it?" she asked quietly, her voice wavering from emotion.

"Because," when she looked back up she was met with a warm smile. "I used to have a teamate that I fought with just like that, worse even." she seemed questioning, worse than Kakashi and Obito? Is that even possible?, she wondered

"What happened?"

Naruto grimaced slightly "A lot." he said. "But in the end he was the best friend I could ever ask for, a brother more like. He was someone I knew I could trust with my life and in turn he could trust me with his and Obito and Kakashi are no different then we were. That is how I know."