Chapter 1

Sesshomarus' POV:

I hated humans. I have many reasons to do so, one of which was the death of my father, the strongest demon of the West lands, strongest one I ever knew and the one I strived to surpass. He stood up to the Dragon king Ryukotsusei of South and emerged victorious and yet it was those pesky humans that were his demise. The humans and my half-breed of a brother. I hated them. And yet, I hated HER even more.

Since childhood she infuriated me. She ignored my status and her insolence made it hard for me to not kill her. She was small and petite yet feisty, rude and insolent. No sign of her royal upbringing whatsoever. Kagome. A human child that became a priestess by accident when her older sister Kikyo died and a Secret jewel of four souls known as a Shikon jewel was passed down to her. She was taken in by a clan of royal Fox demons to be raised in their family ever since the people figured out the jewel gave her immortality and she outlived everyone she knew.

To be honest, the girl was a pain. The Dog demons of the West and the Fox demons of the East were always on good terms with each other and I knew their crown prince Shippo well. We spent time together in hopes for the line of piece to continue and we became good friends. But I will never forget the day he first brought her into the palace when she was still just a little girl.

I was reading a book about agriculture when I heard a knock on my door.

"Enter," I said as I laid my book on the sofa next to me. The door opened and a servant came in bowing her head.

"Young Lord, prince Shippo came to visit you.

"Send him in," I said and stood up from the sofa to greet my friend. A young lad, just three years younger than me entered my chamber.

"Lord Sesshomaru," he nodded his head in greeting and I did the same.

"Prince Shippo. To what do I owe the honor?" I asked registering his formal tone.

"I have big news and I would like you to know about it as soon as possible. Thus my abrupt visit," he said as he walked by the door and took something in his hand. I sooner smelled it than saw it. It was a slight scent, very pleasing in a way. I sniffed a bit. Lilies and cut grass. That's what that was. Shippo stepped back into my chamber, a small hand in his and then I saw her. She was still just a child but her big blue eyes pierced right through my soul. She was shy, hiding her face in her raven hair but her eyes peeked at me with curiosity. The most striking thing about her was that she was human. I frowned slightly. Why would the crown prince of fox demons bring a human child into my chambers? I didn't understand.

"Lord Sesshomaru, this is my new younger sister, Lady Kagome," he said as my eyes found the neckless around her neck, a bright blue fox pendant shone as brightly as her eyes, the symbol of the royal fox house. I fought hard to keep my face indifferent.

"Pardon? I didn't quite catch that," I said looking at the girl standing before me. Shippos' face shone a bit brighter as he dropped the formalities.

"Sesshomaru! I got a sister!" he looked like he was excited about it. Why?

"A human girl?" I asked, a small growl escaping my lips. Shippos' excitement deflated as he saw my reaction. He backed away from me shielding the girl from me.

"Isn't it great? She's a priestess in charge of the Shikon jewel. My parents adopted her after her whole family died out. Seems the jewel is granting her immortality just like with demons. But she still grows up, which is fascinating," he blabbered and my eyes turned red. A human girl. In my palace. With my mother just a few feet away from the very race that destroyed her family. My family. Shippo continued to back away not noticing the girl standing still, till I was standing before the girl and Shippo was out of the door. I expected everything from the girl. Crying, fear, but nothing could have prepared me for what she actually did.

"You're a jerk," she said, her face pouty as she stood before me and my shocked face. Shippo just stood there, before he burst out into a huge laughing fit. Kagome gave me a nasty glare as she turned her back to me and left my chambers with Shippo who still with tears in his eyes bowed to me in goodbye. I just stood there in shock, her words playing in the back of my head making me angrier by the second. Yes. There was nothing I hated more then that girl.

And yet, we grew up together. She matured at the same speed as demons did but she infuriated me every time I saw her. The royalty surely rubbed off on her with pretty dresses and smiles for the common people, she acted like a Lady for what everyone knew. But whenever we crossed paths, she still managed to slip in a jab at me in that sweet voice of hers, making her handmaiden giggle. I of course didn't stand for this. I repaid every jab of hers by my own, which she always gave me a nasty glare for and I just glared back. I didn't like her. Not one bit. God damn it, how I hated the damn girl.

"Oh, how bright it is outside," I heard her voice as I was passing along the gardens with Shippo as we talked about the defense of the southern parts of our land from the dragons, seeing her and her handmaiden and a dear friend Sango by her side watching me from the corner of her eyes.

"It's a shame Lord Sesshomaru isn't as bright," she said smirking, making Sango giggle again. I just narrowed my eyes at her jab, talking loud enough for her human ears to pick up.

"Shame Lady Kagomes' future isn't as bright either."

I smirked at her as I saw her glare at me and I waved her bye as I smugly walked away from them, Shippo rolling his eyes at us.

"Grow up, will you?"

She was infuriating, obnoxious, annoying, selfish little brat that didn't know her place. But strangely, my mother took a liking to the human girl. I often saw them in the gardens talking and laughing, taking care of the broad loans of flowers and even heard the guards talk about my mother inviting her to her chambers at night for an evening cup of tea. I didn't understand. Weren't humans below us? Weren't they who ruined our lives so much in the past? Why was my mother now friendly with that pathetic excuse for a human? It agitated me to no end.

And now, I hated everything there was in the world for it to turn out like this. I knew something was wrong the moment mother called for me. I knocked on her door and walked in after I heard her invite me in. I saw her sit in her chair with Kagome standing before her looking as confused as I was feeling.

"What is the meaning of this, mother?" I asked as I stood next to the raven haired brat and she looked away from me in disgust. Her face was perfectly mirroring what I was feeling. I hated the fact we were breathing the same air, but my face stayed straight.

"I asked you both to come here to discuss a very important thing." Mother said in a rather business like voice as she stood up and walked towards Kagome, taking her hands in hers, a bright smile came to Kagomes' face at the contact.

"You grew up to be such a beautiful young Lady," she said and Kagome blushed, smiling at my mother.

"Thank you, my Lady."

Then she came to me looking me over as I just stood before her, anticipating her next move.

"And he grew up to be so boring," she said turning to Kagome making her giggle as I fought hard to stay silent.

"What are you plotting, mother," I asked as she completely ignored me and went back to that little wench.

"I heard about your brothers' engagement to the princess of the North. Tell him my sincere congratulations and I hope they will be forever happy."

Kagome just smiled at my mother, her face showing how happy she was. Seriously. This girl was like an open book. You could tell what she was thinking just by looking at her.

"It will be my pleasure, my Lady."

"Oh, how I can't wait for you to start calling me mother," she said stunning us both.

"Excuse me?" we said both at the same time, shock evident in our eyes.

My mother turned to face us both and her face turned serious.

"As you're well aware, the dragons may have lost a powerful leader, but so have we. We need alliances now more than ever. And prince Shippo already managed to take away the Panther princess while you were out playing with swords," she said, her voice stern, making me stand completely still. Her face then suddenly changed into a blissful one.

"So... Sesshomaru... you will marry Kagome instead!"