Chapter 1

"A secret admirer!" Jaiden gasped, James stared at the carefully written words on the notebook paper. His grip loosened as he read each sentence over and over, he'd never read something like this before. No words escaped his lips to give Jaiden any sort of response for a good minute, upon realizing this he attempted to say something, anything. "Wh-What...? Who..." It wasn't much, but it was a start, "Someone must really like you." Jaiden remarked, "Silly goose didn't even sign their name, must have forgotten." she calmly held out her hand, causing James to truly snap back into reality. He handed Jaiden the letter, allow her to look a bit closer, "Nah, I think it's a joke. It must be..." James stared at the sidewalk that rested beneath the cool bench the two sat on. "This wording, the way it's written, just about everything about it makes that very hard to believe, James." The shorter brunette replied confidently, "See? In this sentence, look at the way the person's handwriting falters. They speed up for a good few sentences afterward, there's too much they want to say. It's coming out so quickly now." Jaiden explained. "O-Oh..." James focused on the paper, he wasn't sure how to react to the prospect of someone writing something so sweet about him. He never saw himself as anything too special, and for this mystery person to be able to say so many wonderful things about him was honestly dumbfounding. "Do you know what this means?" Jaiden suddenly scooted closer to him, snapping him out of his thoughts. "No?" He blinked, "This means that we have a mystery to solve! The author's true identity!" Jaiden's deep brown gaze glittered with excitement. "Oh, I don't know...What if this really was a joke? There'd be no point." James sat back on the bench, a little defeated. As much as he wanted to believe that the note was written with as much heart as Jaiden believes, it's still probably some prank that Adam's pulling or something. Though before he could articulate his concerns any further he was yanked upwards off the bench, "Come on, we're solving a mystery. No more arguments." Jaiden led him away to the parking lot, letter in hand and no matter how hard he tried, James couldn't manage to escape her surprisingly strong grip.

The air was cool in Jaiden's house, James sat idly, allowing himself to simply enjoy the temperatures while Jaiden carefully wrote in a notebook in front of him. She'd given him one to write in as well, if he got any sort of ideas as to who the author might be, but James was far too distracted to write anything down. His mind was a mix of what the letter itself would foretell and trying to distract himself from it. As his eyes wandered around the kitchen, James finally settled his eyes on the letter. As he stared at the paper itself, unfolded in front of him, and then at Jaiden's notebook, he noticed a rather peculiar resemblance. He glanced at the letter, and then at the paper she wrote on again. James narrowed his eyes, surely the author wasn't her. Though as he recalled, he noticed her trash bin in the living room was full of crumpled papers and a singular pen sitting on the desk beside it was rather off-putting. "Jaiden?" He finally spoke, "What's up?" She replied, still continuing to write something. "Can I see your notebook?" James asked. Jaiden looked up, slightly suspicious, she slid the notebook across the table. "Thanks." James took the letter that sat in front of him, smoothing it out, he gently set it on top of the opened notebook, the two papers lining up perfectly. Jaiden was quiet for a moment as James looked up at her, intrigued. "Huh, that's pretty weird." Jaiden fiddled with her pencil casually, "They must have used a similar notebook..." She trailed off for a good moment, before suddenly lighting up like a Christmas tree, "Wait! This could be a lead! Because it's a similar notebook, that means that the author must be someone close by! And, also the fact that the letter was delivered on a bench in person but-it's a lead nonetheless!" James tilted his head slightly, "Very close by." he agreed. Jaiden was quiet for a second, before making another remark that left him a perplexed mess, "Oh I can't wait to find out his true identity! This is so exciting!"