Chapter Three:

Começar do início

               I couldn't help but feel my new white hair as I said, "I was wondering—what if I can change back to normal?"

              My mom patted my back and said, "I think that you're stuck like this forever sweetie."

               I smiled and said to my mom, "But what if I'm not stuck? Maybe there is a way that I can channel some type of energy within me to be normal again."

               Mr. Bunter and dad said at the same time, "It could work—."

               Charlie shrugged and replied, "Go for it."

               I jumped up and closed my eyes and tried to find the foreign energy that I felt. At first I felt nothing, but then I felt something within me move. And that's when I thought I saw something. Although it was impossible because my eyes were closed, I thought that I saw this faint blue light.

              With all of my human energy I could muster I tried to catch it, but it moved so quickly. After a while of trying to catch the light in my mind I just slumped as I said, "I saw it, but I couldn't catch it."

            Mr. Bunter's eyes lit up as he said, "That's amazing! Whatever's changed you is dormant inside of you."

            Then Charlie nodded and asked, "What if this energy doesn't want to be caught. What if—it wants to roam freely?"

            Jason said exactly what I was thinking. "Then Venti's screwed."

            My mom finally spoke as she said, "Maybe letting this piece of energy roam freely is a blessing."

            "Mom?" I asked not understanding how letting it be free is any good.

            Mom looked at my dad as she said, "Remember Moscow?"

           Dad jumped as he said, "Yes! The climber who had caught a bad case of athlete's foot!" Jason and I cringed simultaneously. The thought of my predicament being compared to some kind of fungus made me purse my lips together in disgust.

            Dad looked towards the entrance of the kitchen as he said, "This happened before you were born Venti. This climber was given the best medication for athlete's foot but it didn't help. So instead he stopped the medications all together and decided to let the fungus take its course—and it disappeared."

            "Yes, the doctor's said that it was a miracle that it didn't get worse, and it was all because he let the fungus roam free," said mom smiling at the memory. I still didn't understand what my parents were getting at. Fortunately, Charlie got some grasp of it.

            Charlie smiled at me and said, "You let the energy be free and it will come to you willingly and once that energy is touched—"

           "You will look normal," said Mr. Bunter looking at his son with pure pride.

            I smiled too as I asked to everyone, "And then I'll be normal?" Everyone in the room all of a sudden darted their eyes to the floor. To me, that was a bad sign.

            Finally dad spoke as he said, "Maybe, but then again—maybe not." Mom must have noticed my frustration.

            She put her arms around me and said, "At least this idea could be a temporary solution Venti."

            Trying to smile I said, "Should I try mom?"

            My mom said, "To find the energy and to let it come to you on its own. Yes." Still standing I closed my eyes again. I saw the light once again. Only a glimmer of blue at first, but then I felt it come closer to me somehow. It felt like when you know that someone is approaching you from across a room.

            When it got within arm distance of me it was glowing so brightly that I momentarily mistook it as snowy daylight. Then just as bright as it was it disappeared and I was surrounded in darkness again. When I opened my eyes I saw everyone looking at me speechless.

            I tried to jump in excitement, but it's like that blue light zapped my energy. I suddenly felt so tired that I only yawned. Charlie laughed and said, "Welcome back!" My mom squealed and my dad chuckled.

            As for Jason he looked at me and said, "Finally. I can go to sleep."

            My mom would usually get mad at a comment like that, but she looked at her watch and said, "Yup. It's bed time."

             Mr. Bunter rubbed his right eye as he said, "Anthony, Patricia, I insist that you stay tonight. It's too late to go to Stone Henge right now."

            My dad sighed and said to Mr. Bunter, "We really should be going. There's someone that's going to allow us in tomorrow." As Mr. Bunter said this, I noticed Charlie going upstairs. He must've forgotten about my birthday.

            Mom nodded and said to Jason and I, "You two be good while we're gone, and have a good first day of school."

             Jason slumped as I said, "We will mom."

            When I looked back at Jason he started to go upstairs already. So, I was the one who said goodbye to my mom and dad at the door. My mom said to me, "I hope that you'll have a terrific day tomorrow Venti, and have some cake. It's your birthday!" She then held my face with her hand under my chin and smiled. Although the smile looked completely unsure, at least she tried to reassure me. That must mean something.

            I smiled a little too, and I kept that smile on my face until I heard the click of the door as it closed.