Chapter Four:

Blackwood Preparatory has been known for its extremely harsh but fair grading system. Charlie says that their grading system isn't fair, it's bloody messed up, but hey, who am I to argue with their brochure?

            It had been thirteen days and my Mom and Dad still weren't back from their trip, but they did call every day to check up on us. I guess my Dad was afraid that Jason and I would decide to blow up the Bunters residence this time. Of course, since it was the first day of school, this information is probably more irrelevant.

            Amazingly, Blackwood required no uniforms even if it's a prep school and prestigious. So, Jason and I were able to go with our regular tee shirt and pants look.

            When Jason and I went downstairs, Charlie was already waiting with his backpack slung over his shoulder as he said, "Ready?"

             Jason ran towards the door and asked him something that my geek of a brother always asks... "Are there cute girls there?"

            "Would you ever have the guts to ask them out even if there were Jason?" I asked him.

              He rolled his eyes and mumbled, "I would if they would stop rejecting me all of the time."

             Charlie shrugged and said, "Well mate, the girls are pretty average so I think you have a shot."  

               I heaved a huge sigh as I replied, "Don't you be encouraging him." I rubbed my left eye and it twitched so much that I decided to keep it completely shut for two seconds until I allowed it to slowly open. It had been one long week in Mr. Bunter's charge, and we all got up in the early hours of the morning for breakfast. Not to mention that we had one slice of cake every night for dessert. That wasn't too bad. What was worse was when Charlie acted like he'd forgotten my birthday, only to leave a little stuffed teddy bear on my pillow that had the number 16 sewn on its belly. I guess he thought that pretending to forget was really sweet. It's so not, but the bear's cute so what the heck right?

            "Venti."

            "Yea Charlie?"

            "You shouldn't drawl out the accent too much. People will then know it's fake."

            "I know Charlie. I promise I won't, but we better get going...we don't want to be late on our first day there."

            Jason replied by saying tartly, "I wouldn't mind skipping."

            In response I pushed him out the door and said, "Come on, you lazy git!" I yawned again and almost bumped into a street sign, if it wasn't for Charlie who pulled me to the left of it.  

            Jason frowned and said, "Fine, I'll go. But since you called me a git, I won't be saying hi to you in school."

            "I'm so heartbroken."

            Charlie started to whistle as he made his way to the front of us. I think he was whistling "God Save the Queen," but his whistle was sharp and slow, and it sounded like he was screeching the song out.

            For a while, we walked to the tube like that. Until, a beautiful blonde girl that was in line for her entrance into the station area said, "Charlie? Is that you?"

            Charlie stopped whistling immediately and instead stuttered, "Hell-hello Rachel." I couldn't help but think then well, well, well Charlie Bunter. You've been holding back on some information haven't you.