Tendrils of my white-blond hair were billowing back, and the shadows skittering along my skin were still and content. But it was only for this journey, because once we stopped life would catch up with me again and the heaviness in the pit of my stomach, the panic that robbed me of nearly every breath, would return.

I caught sight of Lycans occasionally, darting between the cars and running on powerful legs. The Luna-guard moved between the alignment of carriages, never faltering, never stopping. The Pegusi never faltered either and eventually I moved out of the wind, my lungs filled with the spring air of Valaxia.

Dem moved slightly, looking at me expectantly. Jamie was tucked into his other side, frowning in her short nap, and even Peter was asleep across from us, his snores rumbling with frightening intensity.

The rest of the journey passed in comfortable silence. None of us, even when the napping two woke, had enough energy to start and hold a conversation. We passed deeper into the countryside and Peter perked up as we passed down a road where the trees rose and stretched towards the darkening sky. The pines creaked, and the wind whispered through the wood.

Leaning forward, I felt the calling of wind as loud as if a hurricane was tearing the carriage apart. A grin broke across Peter's face, a light shining in his eyes that made my gut clench. I looked away hurriedly as we broke through the line of trees to reveal a small, quaint little house waiting for us.

Vines crept along the white-painted walls, the flowers in full bloom. A bush of black lace sat like a lonely sentinel on the grass. The windows had been opened to the world, and atop the unused chimney a bird's nest sat comfortably. I couldn't see any birds in it, but the scene was so picturesque that I imagined what it would be like to sit out in this comfortable sun with an easel in front of me and paints spread out around me.

The vision died just as suddenly as it rose. I couldn't let myself enjoy things like that when Nethore was suffering.

Then, like he belonged to this image, I noticed Beau – Peter's dragon – sitting patiently on the grass. His large eyes were fixated on our carriage, his massive clubbed tail swinging from side to side, gouging out chunks of dirt. Other than that, the only sign of his excitement was the wind stirring around him, gathering up the clumps of grass.

Peter had a hand on the door as we rolled to a stop and nearly threw himself out in his hurry. I couldn't look at the reunion, couldn't bear to stomach the utter love and devotion that pulsed between Rider and dragon. Jenna eased herself from the carriage she had been sharing solely with Kalan. Her lilac eyes found me instantly, solemn and still older than the girl possessing them.

"I made a call," Jenna said.

The Luna-guard began to surround the cottage, their mighty chests heaving as thick claws dug into the soil.

"I am surprised you do not have a guard with you too, Kalan," I mused.

The Lycan motioned to the Luna-guard. "Their first priority is Jenna, but they will move to guard my back also. The Luna, the Queen of the Lycans, is the most important member of the royal family. She's the one who holds the most sway and power with the Lycan people."

Jenna scoffed. "He says that all the time, but it isn't really true. Lycans need a balancing pair to lead them. Two people, whether it be two men, two women or a man and a woman."

He gave her a soft look, his lips pursed in thought. Hurriedly, I began to look away as the Luna-guard began to shift. Some retained their clothes, and some shifted into nothing but their skin. None of the women held any shame for their bodies, making no move to cover themselves or reach for some sort of clothing.