chapter 8 - First kiss

Depuis le début

“I can’t do this.”, he said, disheartened. I sensed hurt in his voice.

“Cant do what?”

“Nothing.”, without even looking at me, he turned to the other side and slept. I didn’t know what to do or how to react. 'Was I supposed to ask him if he’s ok? What if he just needs some space and time?.' We both got married recently and it was awfully new to him too. 'I can understand if he was uncomfortable with this whole thing.' Girls are trained their entire youth to be a good wife, what about boys?. I decided to let him be. When the time would be right and he would get comfortable enough with me, he would tell.

**********

The next morning I was getting ready to go home, to my safe place. We both pretended as though nothing had happened, neither did we look at each other. During the entire flight he was busy with his laptop and I in my phone. He stole glances time and again at my phone but didn’t question. He dropped me off to my parents place and said that he would come before dinner as he had planned to spend the day with his friends in Bangalore. We exchanged smiles and I felt a lot better than I had since the last two days.

When I turned around after shutting the door behind him, I saw Marwa and Sarah staring at me with a smile, kind of reminded me of the joker from 'IT'. I knew that smile, it always got me into trouble. It was time for my interrogation. They pulled me into now Marwa’s room, she was about to shut the door when mom entered. I had never been more grateful to my mom for barging into my room, or Marwa's room.

“Wait wait. Let me talk to my newly wed daughter first, then you can shut the door.”  Mom said, rather happy. I hadn't seen her that happy in a while. The last time I saw her, she was crying during my bidai. The last couple of months had been rough for her with all preparations and wedding tension. Getting your son married was a one night thing, but daughter's wedding includes years of savings and months of okanning. I was glad that it was over.

“Accha jaldi (ok fast)”, Marwa was getting restless.

Mom sat next to me and my father joined her too. Mom asked, “How have you been? Are everyone treating you properly? How about Ayaan?”. I noticed that the bags below her eyes had not reduced yet and I just didn’t want to worry her with what was going on between Ayaan and me. Though I desperately needed her advice, it could wait.

I smiled at her, “ Arreh so many questions again? I have been giving you updates three times a day for the last two days. I still can’t believe you called on the home phone number.” I looked at her disappointed. I wasn’t comfortable enough to talk over the phone in front of my new family, though they were as sweet as honey, it would take time to get used to them.

“What else was I supposed to do? Your phone wasn’t reachable. Besides, you were supposed to call. Forgot us already?” mom was getting into a dangerous emotional territory and I wasn’t ready for that.

“Stop troubling her. Let her take some rest.”, my father said and saw Marwa’s questionable face and continued, “after these girls finish with their talks.” Marwa smiled to that and I worried. “We’ll talk to you later beta, alone.” Father said making it very clear to Marwa that she wasn’t going to be a part of it. He took mom along with her, taking my savior away from me.

Marwa immediately shut the door, making sure that no one intruded again. She jumped onto the bed and looked at Sarah, it looked like they were prepared for this and clearly I had no way to escape. She gave me a devilish smile and asked, “ How was your first night?”

I had a flashback of what had happened and I definitely wasn’t comfortable talking about it, especially not to Marwa. Recently she had made it very clear that she was no more my baby sister and was very protective of me and I had no clue how she would react if I were to tell her the truth. I didn’t want them to know that I was troubled.

“Oh God! At least now act like my sister. I’m not answering any intimate questions.”

“Hello, why should I act? I am your sister. And I’m all grown up now. I can definitely ask you this. For all you know, I may be able to give you some tips”, she winked.

“Gross.”

“Alright alright. You both calm down. First you tell me, what was that reaction about?”, Sarah asked. I forgot that she was there. As it is, it was difficult for me to fake in front of Marwa, it was impossible to do it in front of Sarah. She could see right through me.

“What reaction?” , I asked pretending to not know what she was talking about.

“Don’t try to play dumb with me. Come on, out with it. Should I get my hockey stick?.” Sarah demanded.

“Seriously it was nothing. I’m new there, I’m adjusting. Getting to know everyone and everything. It’ll take time to fit in. First few days are tough. And all these heavy clothes and jewelry. I can’t wait to get it off me.” It worked like a charm. It was very convincing as it was true.

“Are you sure?”

“100% sure.”

“Ok. If you guys are done, can we come back to my question?” Marwa wasn’t going to give up easily.

“I’m not answering your questions.” I took out my phone and opened Facebook, Ayaan still hadn’t accepted my relationship request. He was busy, probably hasn’t opened his account since he came to India.

Marwa snatched the phone from my hand and said, “You don’t have to tell us about your 'physical act of love', just the stuff leading up to it.”

“Gross. Again.” I snatched the phone from her.

This time Sarah snatched the phone from me, this game has to stop."Don’t be such a behen ji, tell us what you spoke about at least.”

“Did he tell you that you looked gorgeous? Of course he did, you looked like a princess. That was such a stupid question …” Marwa went on but I didn’t hear anything after what I heard.

He actually didn’t say anything about how I looked as his bride. Though he did say what he didn't want me to look like in front of him.

“what are you thinking about?” Sarah asked.

“About jiju of course.” Marwa winked.

“Look I’m not going to answer any of your stupid questions. It’s personal.” I took back my phone and held it tight, no one was taking it away from me again.

“Its ok Marwa, let it be. Let her enjoy her private time. We knew you would change but inti jaldi!(so soon).”

I didn’t respond to that. We started talking about my next day there and then about Sarah’s wedding preparations. Time just flew talking to them. Though it had been just two days, I had missed them immensely.

__________

Hello my lovely readers🥰,

I’m glad to receive so much love from you guys . Thank you for your love your support. And to prove how much your liking my story, don’t forget to hit the star.
If you were in Safa's place, how would you feel if your husband wouldn’t compliment your looks on your wedding day?

Much love❤️❤️❤️