I thought quietly at that revelation though. Maybe that encounter with Zach was a one-time thing and our paths only crossed again when we were older? I couldn't believe that idea.

"I guess avoiding triggers aren't as easy as in theory," Mara said, looking a bit put off. "What am I supposed to say to you now?"

I looked at Mara intently, "There's another thing too."

Mara must've seen something in my face because her expression turned dark.

"Go on."

I looked down again, "When I got back to consciousness after triggering some of my memories, I may have begged Zach to tell me how those things have happened. I asked him about the past."

I knew what Mara's reaction would be at my confession.

"You what?" she asked in a voice devoid of emotion.

And I rushed to continue, "Zach told me some things about the past. And more memories came back from what he said."

Mara's expression said it all, "Scarlett, what were you—?"

"That's the thing," I immediately cut her off again. "I didn't faint or even experience the smallest headache when Zach told me about the past. The memories came completely but without me getting hurt."

"Wait," Mara held up a hand in disbelief, "What you are trying to tell me is that somehow by Zach telling you of the past, you manage to avoid the headaches? Is that it? That somehow Zach cures you of having to undergo the grueling process of retrieving your memories by taking away the side-effects?"

She made it sound ridiculous and I bit my lip. 

"You don't believe me," I stated without accusation.

She shook her head, "No, I'm not trying to discredit your judgment. I just..." she waved her hand in front of me as if to supply for the lack of words. "Tell me what memories you remembered after fainting."

I didn't find anything wrong with doing so. So I told her about my high school and college memories. About art. All those times with classmates and professors in school and out of it.

Mara was quiet for a while before she turned to me.

"I'm assuming they were good memories," Mara finally said.

And as I thought back, I had to admit, "They were."

Mara searched my eyes, "And those memories that came with the headaches? Were they bad ones?"

I stopped at that, eyes widening. "They were."

Mara blew air into her cheeks and pouted, "So is it safe to assume that Zachary has nothing to do with the lack of headache?"

"You think not?" I asked back.

Mara let out the breath she held, exasperated. "I'm not sure. I refuse to make conclusions out of incomplete information..." she paused then, "but it does make me wonder."

I watched her quietly, "About what?"

Mara's eyes turned bleak, "How much of your memories are good ones? How much more of them are the bad ones?"

I had no answer to that. And I sat still, as I pondered her words. But even I had to admit that was one scary question.

As I thought of those things, the door to the room suddenly opened and Zach entered the room. His face dark, blue eyes flaring. I tensed.

"Are you done yet?" he asked through clenched teeth.

Mara rolled her eyes at him as if without care of his current mood, "Does it look like we're done yet?"

Blue eyes narrowed at her, "Scarlett fainted again. Don't you think by now I deserve to know whatever it is that you two are talking about? This also concerns me!"

I was suddenly alarmed by his tone and I sat up straight. When Mara came in, she immediately told Zach to get out of the room and we were quickly talking and even I had to admit I forgot about him. I didn't realize how much these sessions without him would affect him mentally as well. And I felt guilty for shutting him out.

"Zach—" I started but Mara immediately cut me off.

"You can talk to her if she wants to. In any case, we're already finished talking," Mara stood up and I watched her, confused.

"You're leaving now?" I asked, blinking up at her.

"Yup," she answered before turning to the door, "Zach," She called.

Zach's mouth was set in a straight line and he didn't answer. Mara rolled her eyes before approaching the door.

"Fine. You want to know what we talked about?" Mara asked.

That surprised me, "Mara—"

She cut me off, "I was just saying that it's the husband's responsibility to give the wife tons of happy memories," she said casually.

What?  

I stared at her blankly, confused at her words. The same words that darkened Zachary's expression. 

Mara shrugged before continuing, "And that I wonder how you plan to achieve that with your gloomy personality."

Mara walked out of the door with an energetic wave of her hand.

Passing a furious Zach.

And leaving a confused me in her wake.

Thank you so much for reading:) I appreciate it so much.

Do vote, comment and follow my profile!