Chapter 20

No one's POV

(Y/n) had been forced into a deep slumber. The mysterious woman paid no mind to her struggles and screams for help. After all, it was her job and it wasn't up to her to decide.

The tools that she had laid out were just for show. It was just a procedure used to scare naive teenagers that were idiotic and annoying. The real extraction didn't require such tools.

All it needed was the enigmatic, magical power of a mad scientist. Anyone could learn the arts of how to steal power from another but not everyone could master it.

(Y/n)'s steady breathing was quiet, too quiet. It was like she was having a dream where all her fantasies were made into reality. A peaceful dream kept her ignorant, she remained oblivious to the horrors that were about to be inflicted on her mind.

There was a long pause, almost as if the woman was saying her prayers for the girl that lay in front of her. But she could not and did not care for the girl's wellbeing. She was doing this for the money after all.

~With Mikleo~

The two boys wasted no time. The adrenaline pumping through their veins didn't allow them to stop and rest. They needed to make sure that (Y/n) was safe.

The tall, looming tower stood before them, similar to that of a lion pounding on its weak meal. They entered nonetheless and attempted to brave the maze that lay in wait.

"Hey Mikleo, I have a bad feeling about this," Sorey exclaimed.
"So do I. It's strange how there were no guards or anything."
"Maybe they don't need them. This place'll be impossible to go through. Everything looks exactly the same!"
"I know and that's what makes me worried. How the hell are we supposed to help (Y/n) if we don't even know where to begin looking?"
"The answer's simple, Mikleo. Just don't," replied Shiori.

She appeared before them like a ghost. Mikleo and Sorey tensed as she held her gaze and never wavered. The tension rose like the high tide. Shiori's piercing yet melancholic expression was enough to make Mikleo question his actions.

"Shiori, let us through. I don't want to hurt you but I will if I have to," he said calmly.
"*smiles sadly* You know I can't do that. I've lived for this moment my whole life. It'll crush me to let you two ruin everything I've sacrificed my life for."
"Then simply find a new thing to live for. Stop using (Y/n) for your own personal gain!"
"How is it my fault that I'm trying to survive?! That's all I've ever been doing but you always - always - push me away! I-I loved you and I still do! So why?..."

Hot tears forced their way down her cheeks as she stood, shaking...stumbling. Her resolve was breaking and so was her heart. She no longer knew what to do.

Mikleo didn't know what to do with her. Should he help her or pass her by as if she were only a stranger? Both these options seemed plausible yet wrong. They were somewhat contradicting.

"Mikleo, let's go. We can come back for her later," Sorey urged softly.

He walked off without another word, showing no signs of regret for his actions. It was obvious that he did everything for (Y/n) and only her. Shiori was simply just an obstacle in which he must overcome.

The two boys left and ran down the confusing hallways. They didn't give up despite feeling like they were running in circles. Worry and fear began to grip their hearts, clenching tightly as if urging them to hurry up.

After what felt like hours of searching with no hope whatsoever, an ear-piercing scream illuminated the hallway. They ran towards the sound, hoping that it'd lead them to (Y/n) but also desperately wishing for her safety.

Mikleo slammed the door open and saw (Y/n) on the floor, shaking uncontrollably. Her eyes were bloodshot and her face drenched in tears.

Her appearance was a mess and so was her mind. The woman lingered over her, a look of insanity graced her face. She seemed to be enjoying the torture she was inflicting on the girl. Her mind knew no bounds and she had no sense of limitation.

Mikleo couldn't control his anger any longer. A surge of icy mist encased the room in a deafening chill. His hands, still shaking with anger, picked (Y/n) up.

She remained in a crazed trance, unaware of her surroundings. This made Mikleo even more furious. After dragging Sorey out of the tortuous chamber, he shut the door and without warning, filled the room with an unstoppable flood.

"Mikleo, stop it! She'll drown!" Sorey reasoned.
"Then let her. She deserves it."
"This isn't like you! If that woman dies, who do you think will be seen as the suspect?! This place...or you?"

He reluctantly willed the water to disappear and collapsed to the floor with (Y/n) still in his arms. She was no longer conscious but her breathing was fast and unsteady.

He didn't know what to do. It may have already been too late. (Y/n) may have already lost her mind. Her power may already be gone and her personality shattered.

Despite all the despair and negativity, he still had hope. Even if it was small, he wouldn't admit that (Y/n) was gone. He reasoned that she would never leave him alone.

"Mikleo, the woman's still breathing. Let's go, we have to get out of here before Shiori orders someone to capture us," Sorey exclaimed hurriedly while pulling his friend to his feet.

So they went. Walking without a destination in mind. They were lost once again. The endless maze in which they stood was trapping them. It was...impossible to go back.