Chapter 4

(Y/n)'s POV

I stood near the sidelines, trying to go by unnoticed. It was obvious that I'd do this. I didn't know the rules of soccer, meaning I couldn't play no matter how much I tried. Plus, I was bad at sports.

"(Y/n), the ball!" Mikleo yelled.

I quickly turned around, just in time for the ball to reach my feet. Mikleo motioned for me to kick it to him. I gathered up some of my courage and kicked it as hard as I could.

The next moment, Shiori purposely crashed into me, trapping my body beneath hers. I struggled to get up. She had formed a pact with one of the other Seraphim.

I was half seraph myself but it was futile to try to fight against someone like Shiori. Damn it! What was the point of holding me down when the ball was with Mikleo?!

"Get off of her!"

I heard Sorey yell as he pushed Shiori off. She could only stand there, dumbfounded and frozen. Sorey pulled me up and gave me a thumbs up.

"S-Sorey, the b-ball...the game."
"The others are taking care of it. Mikleo and I were worried about you. I mean, you didn't even have the ball so why would Shiori attack you?"
"Thank you..."
"Just call us if you need any help, okay?"

I couldn't help but nod quietly as he ran off to help with the game. A warm feeling spread in my heart. He was willing to help me...why?

But I felt so helpless. While he had easily formed a pact with Mikleo and brushed off Shiori as if she was nothing, I couldn't do a thing.

"Why?" asked Shiori.
"What do you mean?"
"Why would Sorey form a pact with Mikleo and help you of all people?!"
"I don't know-"
"Don't give me that! You're just acting like a helpless little girl! You wanted him to protect you by acting like that."
"I-I didn't..."

Catherine immediately stopped her friend before everyone realised what was going on. Zaveid had walked over and gave Shiori a warning before calling timeout.

Shiori's words kept replaying over and over again in my mind. Did I really act helpless so that I could become friends with Mikleo and Sorey?

N-no, that wasn't true. I-I didn't act helpless. I was helpless. It was Shiori's fault, not mine. Then why did I feel so...guilty?

"Oi, you okay?" Zaveid asked.
"I n-need some time alone."
"Hey-"

I had already walked away. I didn't feel like talking to anyone.

~Lunchtime~

My stomach grumbled loudly as I sat down on the bench on the rooftop. I had skipped the rest of the class, trying to clear my thoughts.

I had forgotten to bring my lunch money, stupidly leaving it at home. As I sat here contemplating what to do for the rest of the break, a sudden breeze hit me from behind.

I pulled my school jacket on tighter. That was when someone covered my eyes, asking me to guess their identity. I could easily tell it was Sorey's voice.

"What are you doing up here?"
"Zaveid told me that you usually come up here during breaks," he replied.

*sigh* Why was he trying to annoy me again? I had no business with him so why did he always try to meddle in mine?

Mikleo appeared beside Sorey and greeted me with a kind smile. I turned away and looked at the sky instead.

"I heard your conversation with Shiori," Mikleo exclaimed.
"...so? Why did you come to see me then?"
"Because I don't believe her."
"Why not?"
"Because...wait, it sounds like you want me to believe her."
"It's better that you do."

Sorey dropped something into my lap. A melon bun and a bottle of tea. I looked at him in confusion.

"We thought you'd be hungry. Well, it was actually Mikleo's idea but I had to use my money."
"Thank you but I can't accept this. I don't have any money to pay you back."
"Pay us back? What are you talking about? We're friends, right?"

I could only stare at him in shock. He- no, they both had accepted me as their friend despite not knowing anything about me. Why? That made no sense.

"Hey, do you think Shiori's jealous?" asked Mikleo.
"Why would she be?"
"Sorey's considered the most popular boy at school. Shiori could be jealous about the fact that he 'told her off' for you. If you think about it this way, then it makes sense."
"I-I guess."
"Hey um...are you a seraph?"
"...did Zaveid tell you to ask me?"
"Yeah- I mean, no. I'm curious too."
"So am I," Sorey added.

I bit my lip. I couldn't tell them about myself, nor my past. Those two things were the exact reasons why everyone had labelled me an outcast. I was surprised that Sorey and Mikleo haven't heard about it.

Without warning, Mikleo opened the packet that contained the melon bun and motioned for me to eat it. Hesitantly, I took it and bit into the side.

It...was delicious. I had never bought this before because of how expensive they were at the cafeteria. I could feel Mikleo smile as I ate the rest of the food.

"It's good, isn't it? Want us to buy you more?" Sorey asked.
"N-no, I'm fine. Thank you."
"If you don't mind me asking, why do you keep your guard up so much?" Mikleo asked while opening the bottle of tea.

I thanked him quietly before taking a small gulp. As I tried to think of a decent reply to his question, the invisibility started spreading at my hands.

My fingers tightened around the bottle. Even without looking, I could tell that Mikleo and Sorey were both staring at me in shock as it continued further.

"What's...happening to you?"