Chapter 17

(Y/n)'s POV

Sorey had left to head to his class. I was going to follow him but Mikleo had something to say to me in private. Of course, I stayed behind but the curiosity and nervousness clawed at my mind.

"Hey, what was it that-"

Mikleo pulled me into a deep kiss, almost as if he was desperate for it. I was too surprised to do anything. Heat rushed to my cheeks when he leaned in a little more, indirectly making me kiss back.

Despite wanting more, he pulled away, leaving me with an incredibly fast beating heart and tomato-red cheeks. No one had ever done that before, so I wasn't sure how to react.

His eyes were searching mine, as if asking for something. I opened my mouth to speak but no words were coming out. I didn't know what to say.

"(Y/n), I'm sorry," he exclaimed while looking away.
"That's not what you want to say, is it? Who the hell kisses a girl then says 'sorry' as if it was nothing?"
"*laughs* You're right, sorry."
"So?"
"I think I love you."
"Wait, you weren't certain but still went for the kiss?"
"I'm kidding! You take things way too seriously."
"*pouts* Whatever."
"I like you...better?"

I nodded and avoided his gaze as my face heated up more than usual. I could feel him smile widely. This wasn't good. If he was going to continue staring at me like that, I think I might explode from all the unusual things that were happening to me.

~After school~

I quickly left through the front gates, eager to avoid Shiori and Catherine's wrath. They probably knew about Mikleo confessing to me and were going to kill me for it.

Without any warning whatsoever, someone covered my eyes and my mouth to prevent me from screaming. I wanted to fight back but my captor's voice made me relax, even if it was just by a little.

"Calm down, it's only me."
"Yuma, you scared me! I thought you were going to kill me in some secluded area."
"Sorry, I can't let Shiori ever find out that I'm hanging out with you."
"Then why bother if you're not allowed?"
"I thought I should explain myself about how I behaved earlier. And besides, Mikleo asked me to pick you up."
"Huh? What?"

I was still processing his words through my now mushed up mind. He tugged at my sleeve, making me walk alongside him as we made our way down to the park.

"Um, sorry about before. I didn't mean to just run off like that," he started.
"Oh, don't worry about it."
"You reminded me of my sister. Her personality was like yours and she looks like you."
"I see..."
"We were really close so it took me a long time to get over her death. My father left her to die in a burning house."

His voice was filled with hatred. I felt chills go down my spine as his cold tone etched itself into my mind. From the way he suddenly got all tense, I could tell that he despised his father.

"It has only been two years since she passed away. I left home a week after her death. I couldn't stand how my parents just regarded her death as 'nothing important'. It was later that I found out that he had died because of a cardiac arrest."

I had no words that would comfort him. His past sounded worse than mine and I was still caught up in my own. I felt guilty for not saying anything to console him.

"Oi, don't look so sad. I'm okay, seriously," he exclaimed with a grin.
"...okay, if you say so."
"So, has anyone told you what we were doing this afternoon?"
"No, I didn't even hear about it till you told me."
"That's strange. Mikleo definitely said that you knew everything and would tell me about it..."

I could only give him a confused look. Neither of us knew what was going on and I didn't like surprises. I hated being kept in the dark, even if it was meant to keep me safe. Ha, not like I could say that.

"We're here."

As soon as we stepped inside, someone came running towards me and almost knocked me over. I awkwardly hugged them back, mostly to keep myself from falling.

"Omg, congrats! It seriously took Mikleo forever to confess," Alisha said happily.
"...huh?"

What was going on? I don't think I ever had a proper conversation with her and yet, here she was, hugging me like I was her best friend.

"Sorey asked us if we wanted to hang out this afternoon. Of course we'd come along."

I glanced at Yuma. What was I supposed to say? I had never actually hung out with the 'popular group' before. This was entirely new to me.

"Hey, then I'll get going-"
"Yo Yuma," Dezel greeted.

I heard him sigh in relief before heading off with his friend. I was being pulled along by Alisha to the others that were waiting for us.

"Geez, you're getting way too excited for this," Rose commented.
"What? It's not everyday that we get to see Mikleo actually like someone," Alisha replied.

Mikleo cleared his throat, telling us that it was time to go. I couldn't help but laugh as they teased him. It was strange for me to be hanging out with a real group of friends.

As they headed off, Mikleo stayed behind at the back with me. I felt his hand grasp mine as we made our way to town. The warmth of his hand calmed me down.

He smiled at me when I looked at him. I smiled back, willing to forget about everything just for tonight. I didn't want any negative thoughts to ruin my time with Mikleo and his friends.