Lost Memories pt. 3 (cute)

Start from the beginning

He took slow and hesitant steps towards you, the girl he had been so infatuated and so in love with. Your breathing became ragged as he took a seat beside you on the ground. Your head felt as if it was spinning at the realization that this was real life. He was actually here, sitting beside you, being your only form of company in the big local park you had both grown up in, and fallen in love in.

"It's been so long." Jacob mumbled, staring at his lap. He too had been thinking of you lately. There was no particular reason, he just always seemed to have you on his mind, more than usual now.

"I know." You couldn't bring yourself to look at him, in worries that you would fall in love with his gorgeous chocolate locks and prominent hazel eyes, surrounded by long, dark eyelashes that most girls would pay to have. Or maybe he would be mad at you, upset and hurt, just like when you first left that apartment all those years ago.

"What's that?" The silence was broken by his smooth, velvety voice.

You looked down, meeting his gaze. You felt your cheeks heat up as you realized he saw the drawing of Lucy. "Oh, I-it's nothing." You stuttered, struggling to close the notebook and hide it from him. Maybe he would think that you were still in love with him, that you regretted your decision of leaving him. You would never admit to yourself that the tiniest sliver of you did, but he would never know that.

Before you could close the sketch, Jacob's hand shot between the pages, him preventing the book from closing. He snatched it from your hands, and before you could wrap your head around what was happening, he opened up the book, revealing the sketch of the teddy bear.

You finally looked up at his familiar face, engraved with perfection and attractiveness. A certain feeling washed over you as you watched his eyes light up, bringing back memories of when you would crack a corny joke or give him a gift for his birthday. You remembered being so in love with him, and it pained you that your relationship had crashed and burned.

A weak, sad smile flexed across Jacob's lips. "Lucy." He noted, his voice at almost a whisper.

You gulped, looking down and adjusting the collar of your pink Thrasher sweatshirt. You felt the sudden urge to cry. You wanted to let tears spill from your eyes and allow yourself to collapse into his embrace, wrapping your arms around his body. You wanted him to say he missed you as much as you missed him, although you would never admit to yourself that you felt that way.

His eyes burned into the side of your face, him staring directly at the beautiful girl beside him. He knew all too well that there had always been, and always will be, a part of him that's in love with you. You were the only girl he was capable of loving permanently.

"That tree," Jacob's deep voice interrupted the silence one again. "Remember when we carved into it?"

This time it was your turn to smile. Your gaze wandered over the oak tree and the slashed in the bark made by you and Jacob. You reminisced at the memory, the night of Valentines Day that year replaying through your head.

"On Valentine's Day." You stated, tears piling up at the bottom of your eyes.

Jacob nodded, his gaze meeting yours on the tree. "We carved our initials into it, then had a picnic on the grass right about in this spot." A hint of sadness was still in his tone, but overall he was beyond excited to be speaking with you again. "Then we went back to our apartment," he sighed. "And made love on that bed that was too small."

You nodded your head, the tears that threatened to pour down your face beginning to win the battle. You squeezed your eyes shut, the lump in your throat growing by the second. The droplets of water spilled from your eyes, slowly racing down your smooth skin.