Lost Memories pt. 3 (cute)

major feels warning ⚠️

Your pencil drew thin lines across the paper of the sketch pad. Each stroke was light and airy, building up the drawing further and further. The image started coming together, the sketchbook placed on your lap as you sat in the grass beneath the old oak tree of the local park. The drawing was of the all too familiar teddy bear, Lucy. That bear held almost as many memories as your brain, of him.

It's been just over two years since you left him. He never called or texted, but accepted the fact that you were gone, and he would never get you back. You had seen headlines about him all over magazines and news channels, about his music and relationships. None of them seemed to last very long. The only steady relationship he had ever managed was with you, until that eventually broke off as well.

You deeply inhaled, bringing your gaze away from the sketch of Lucy in your lap. You stared at the tree in front of you. That tree held memories, too. Everything in this town did. On Valentines Day during the second year of your relationship with him, you had carved yours and his initials into the tree with a pocket knife. It displayed the first letter of your first names on either sides of a plus sign, surrounded by a giant heart. That was back when you thought you would be with him forever.

It was hard to leave him, after all you and him had been through. All the laughs and the cries, the memories, both good and bad. But, you knew it was the right thing to do. You couldn't go back, no matter how much you missed him or craved his affection. He was the one who caused you pain in the first place.

You pondered your thoughts, somewhat surprised that you still thought of him from time to time although it's been so long. The entire park was silent, the only sound being that of the wind shaking the leaves on the giant trees. You watched the leaves dance in the wind, some occasionally breaking loose from a branch and falling gracefully to the ground, shimmering through the air.

A sigh left your parted lips as you brought your attention back to the sketch of the teddy bear. You swallowed, sighing your name beside the drawing of the bear, although you knew nobody would see it but you.

The sound of light footsteps became present in the air. Your head shot up, seeing a figure walking along the sidewalk placed nearly 15 feet from your place on the ground. They wore a gray sweatshirt, covering their whole body and shielding themselves from you. They were facing the opposite direction, walking with their converse placing light steps on the pavement.

The person inched closer and closer to you on the sidewalk, soon to be walking past you. You kept your eyes on them out of curiosity, wanting them to reveal their identity to you. With each step they took, their head remained down, their eyes on their feet.

You watched them walk in front of you on the sidewalk, only a mere 15 feet from you. They didn't seem to even notice your presence, having their head down, almost sorrowfully.

The figure suddenly slowed its movements, waking at a slower pace. Their head shot up, looking in your direction. Your eyes widened, your jaw dropping. Your heart beat seemed to disappear at the revelation of their identity. His expressions mimicked yours.

"Y/n?"

The all-too-familiar voice rang through your ears. The memories flooded through your head. That voice... his voice.

"J-Jacob?"

You hadn't spoken his name in years. A pang of sadness and guilt washed over you as he looked at you through dull eyes. He pulled the hood off of his head, revealing the mess of dark hair spilling from his head. It was untamed and messy, but you secretly thought that he still looked perfect. There was never an instance where you thought he didn't look perfect, and you hated yourself for feeling that way.