Eli Wesley - F I F T E E N

Start from the beginning

 "Wow, Dad. You sure you weren't Aristotle in your past life?" 

 We shared another laugh. Once the laughter died out, I let out a sigh. 

 "I don't think that's the case, Dad. I don't feel that way because I feel sorry for her. Being with her makes me happy, and I want to be able to make her feel that way too. When I'm with her, I don't have a care for the world because that's how comfortable I feel around her."

 "Hm, I think you just answered your own question then, Ell." He then smiled. "The girl you're talking about… it's Lana Clarke, right?"

 Glancing back at Dad, he had the look of knowledge on, and I nodded my head sheepishly.

He then placed his hand on my shoulder and encouraged, "She's a great girl, Ell. There's something genuine in Lana that your mother and I both like. I know your relationship with her will go a long way."

 My eyes widened, realizing that Dad got it wrong. "Oh, we're not together, Dad."

 Immediately, disbelief scattered across Dad's aged face. He let out a short laugh. "You're kidding me! What are you thinking, son?"

 Giving him a grin, I didn't really know how to respond to that.

 "What if... I made a mistake though?" I reminded myself. 

 That nothing-can-ruin-this-day feeling was gone. Ignorance was bliss sometimes. I've been too happy to even look deeper at the possibilities if Lana ever figures out about me and Haley's past. Haley suspected what I planned to do before everything changed. Even though Haley said she wouldn't tell, I wouldn't rely on it. My question caused confusion towards Dad.

 "Mistake? What do you mean, Ell?"

 I gazed off, staring at Mom's growing flower garden from the front lawn."It's nothing. Forget what I just said."

 Dad still spoke up, "Whatever this mistake may be, I trust you will figure out a way to fix it. That's the Elliot Wesley I know.”

 I knew talking with Dad would help me a bit. His words made me more confident. I wanted to be with Lana — more than anything — but because of my past with Haley and that stupid plan, it seemed like we couldn't be together.

                                                     ☾        ☾        ☾

 "Eli, just be yourself around Lana. That's all to it!" Preston advised as he scanned the aisle of our nearest party supply store.

 Here we were, shopping.

 This was something I never expected to do with Coops and Preston — ever.

 After getting a text from Olette earlier today, it was a shopping list to get a few things for Lana's surprise party.The guys were down to help out for her birthday. When it comes to surprises, they'll be first in line. Of course, this wasn't a prank of some sort, but it was along a similar outline. 

 I couldn't believe when Olette told me that Lana never wanted to celebrate her birthday. I thought this was something all girls look forward to. Lana deserved a celebration, and I was happy that Olette asked me to be a part of it. Her birthday was just a week away, and Lana wasn't expecting a single thing since. I looked at the list on my cellphone screen and right back up at the guys.

 Finally, I answered, "I have been. The thing is, Haley was suspicious about the entire thing with Lana. What if she tells Lana? What will do then?"