two

-The year 2000 Mark is 10 and Jackson is 11-

"Mark! Come meet the new neighbors!" Dorine yells from downstairs, Jackson and his parents standing in the front room.

"Coming mom," Mark says, running downstairs and bowing to the family. "Hello, I'm Mark." Mark looks at the family, eyeing the younger boy in the family with worry. 

"Hello Mark, it's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Sofia, this is my husband, and my son, Jackson," Sofia says, Mark nodding and smiling at Jackson.

"Mark tends to be kind of quiet, I'm sorry about that," Raymond says, ruffling Mark's dark brown hair. 

"That's okay! We can play together anyway! Come on!" Jackson cheers, grabbing Mark's hand and dragging him outside and to Jackson's backyard where he had a swing set. Mark sighed, he already knew him and Jackson won't mesh well together. "Do you like swings? My mom bought them for me for my birthday!"

"That's cool," Mark says, his voice quiet as he joins Jackson in sitting on the swing.

"We will be the best of friends Mark! I promise!" Jackson smiles brightly, Mark not being able to resist smiling back at the younger. Maybe being friends with Jackson wouldn't be as bad as Mark thought. 

————————

It's short, I know, I'm sorry.