[26] A Delicate Soul.

Start from the beginning

"Where's James?" Dunia asks because he's usually driving them everywhere.

But that question makes Barqat's jaw clench. "Why? Starting the fancy him?"

Dunia looks at his reaction with her own confusion. "What? No. It's just he drives us everywhere, I thought—you know what, never mind."

Dunia sits inside the car and closes the door. "Where are we going first?"

"Palm Jumeirah." He doesn't explain further.

"Can we please Jumeirah Mosque first?" Dunia asks.

"Why? So you can pray for my death?" Barqat retorts.

"Ya Allah! Why would I do that? Why can't you just listen without adding such morbid comments to everything I say!" Dunia's somewhat okay mood is turning horrible.

"Whatever." Barqat doesn't look at her and proceeds to drive.

Dunia couldn't help but grin while looking out the window. Everything her eyes landed on was beautiful, this whole city is so perfect.

She wouldn't admit it to Barqat but she's so glad they she's got a chance to visit Dubai. This was on her dream places to visit for so many years. Not in her wildest dreams did she think she would also end up residing in the tallest building in the world while visiting!

• • •

Barqat took small glances at Dunia at red lights and stops. Her smile made him feel the joy in himself. He hates that she makes him feel the way he does. Every time she smiles, his heart skips a beat. Every time they touch, he becomes almost too weak to bear. He knows he has a little effect on her as well, that thought puts a smug smile on his face.

The day she drowned, Barqat really thought she wouldn't make it. Everything inside of him felt crushed, as if someone dropped a three ton rock on his chest. Seeing and holding her almost lifeless body made him feel a burning sensation in his body, it was a painful emotion pain.

He felt sickness in his empty stomach. His mind swarmed with thoughts of so much regret, maybe I should've given us a chance? Maybe if I was there, this wouldn't have happened? His heart could barely beat steadily. His mood for the two days she was lifeless was dark. The colours of Bora Bora were bright and cheerful, but it felt like a black cloud was hovering over him, raining with pain and sorrow.

There were only two times he's every felt such dread before. He'd hoped the second time would be his last until Dunia walked into his life and changed it. Now he feels things for her that he doesn't want anything to do with and he's doing everything in his power to push them away. He won't let himself break again. I won't let her break through my walls, I refuse to, he promises himself.

• • •

"We're at the mosque?" Dunia's eyes widen. He actually listened to me!

Barqat nods as he parks the car.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" She quickly jumps out of the car after he finishes parking and gestures for him to follow her. "Let's go!"

"I have never seen anyone so excited to see a mosque." Barqat says.

"You've never met me." She grins. The mosque instantly puts her in a good mood. "besides,

They tour the mosque, taking in it's beautiful structure and design. Along the way, Dunia makes Barqat take cute [some cheesy] pictures of her. She doesn't hold back just in case she never gets a chance to come back.

When they enter the prayer the area, Dunia decides she wants to read nafl prayers (optional prayers that are thought to award extra benefit on the person performing them).

She grabs Barqat's wrist, which physically takes him by surprise, "We're going to read nafl nama'az. Let's go wadhu (cleaning oneself before prayers)."

He stops walking with her, "Uh... I'm not—I'm good."

"Please." Dunia sounds sincere. She puts on her best pout. "Pretty please. You can't complain about extra blessings."

Barqat stands there for a minute thinking and decides to give in, "Okay, fine."

After they perform wadhu, Dunia meets with Barqat and they walk together towards the prayer mats.

"I can't believe you're making me do this." Barqat rolls his eyes.

"What do you mean? Don't you read—Wait, when was the last time you read nama'az?" Her eyes widen in realization.

Barqat crosses his arms and leans against one of the pillars, "Does it matter?" Why is he even listening to her? What do I have to lose? I guess I can have her smile at me a little more... Shut up, Barqat!

Dunia gasps too loud, which gets her looks from other people. Then, she whispers, "It's okay. Blessings are blessings whether it's early or late." She pulls on his wrist, dragging him along.

After reading nafl, "Did reading it make you feel good?" Dunia beams at him.

Barqat didn't want to admit it but he felt some lightness in his heart. As if something had been pushing against his chest has now been lifted.

But to Dunia, he just shrugs his shoulder, "Let's go to Palm Jumeriah."

- - -

A/N: Thought I'd add a little bit of Barqat's perspective in this because you don't hear from inside his head much. Would you like more of that?

Also, I added just a little spiritual part for the religious peeps. ☺️

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!