Chapter Ten

After I'd gotten control of my emotions Jack picked up the backpack that acted as well... my diaper bag and held out his hand for me. Earlier in the day I'd found that my sense of balance and ability to walk on my own two feet had gotten better and I could walk for longer, and more stably than the previous two days which was something I was very happy with.

Jack had to moderate his pace and I had to speed my own up to keep up as we went into the building where we were met by a different desk officer.

"Good morning, ah yes I already have clearance for you two." He pulled out a pair of visitor's badges and handed them to Jack. "Go right on in, the chief is waiting for you in his office and he's most interested in getting this issue resolved."

Jack grabbed the badges, before we quickly made our way to the office of the precinct chief who was, as the desk man implied, waiting for us to arrive.

"I'd thought you'd have gotten here earlier Mr. Mackenzie." He griped as he stood to shake Jack's hand.

"Sir you are aware that there are two different types of timetable, right?" Jack said smoothly,

"Yes, actually I am." The chief responded, "Without children and with children, though Mr. Ross hardly qualifies as the second since he is older than he appears."

"That may be true, but he does have the physical requirements of a child, and so the second timetable is the one that we have to live with."

The chief nodded and then looked at me, "I hope you're willing to work with us Mr. Ross, you're past doesn't give me the greatest confidence that you're really ready to turn over a new leaf."

I looked at the chief and nodded, "I want this whole sordid mess sorted out as much as you do." I told him, "I never did anything because I desired to do bad things sir, I did those things to survive in a world that didn't care about me." I told him. "Now what are we going to do to get this situation resolved?"

"The easiest method is to bring them in and perhaps..." He began before I shook my head.

"We do that and I can almost guarantee you that Amanda will die a horrible death." I told him bluntly.

"Then what would you suggest?" The chief, a rather grizzled looking older wolf asked roughly.

I sighed, "You are probably aware that the first step in any operation is the acquisition of information, otherwise we'd be blundering about in the dark."

"You don't have to tell me how to run an investigation." He growled.

I nodded, "Yes, I guess I don't, but we are working on a bit of time crunch here." I told him "So perhaps we should utilize my own particular talent for gathering information, I can almost assure you that I can gain information, without alerting the Nailheads that they are being watched."

"I don't trust you." The wolf stated without hesitation glaring at me with his deep golden eyes.

"Nor do I trust you all that much Chief, but under current circumstances perhaps it would be best for us to put aside our mistrust and work together. I can assure you that currently we are both working towards the same goal. That being the release of Amanda O'Shea, alive and unharmed." I reminded him quietly. "Though in order for me to assist I will need one of the restrictions that has been placed on me by the deal that Jack made with the Crown to be nullified."

He turned his gaze to Jack, "Can you sort this out Mr. Mackenzie? I mean I can give him a temporary dispensation, but I think that if this works out it could put a major dent in the operations of the Nailheads and he would then deserve a certain... lenience."