Chapter 13

"Are you sure you're okay?" Freddy asks me once again. Hiccuping, I wipe my eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine. At least I'll be fine eventually." Reassuring him, somehow reassures me and give him a small smile.

"I'm sorry you had to relive everything for the principal." He comforts me, shifting closer to me on the couch.

"Really it's fine." I mumble, pressing my wrists into my eyes.

"Are you sure?" He asks again, making my annoyance flare for a split second.

"Yes, I am." I hiss stiffly. He senses my change in mood and gets off the couch.

"Do you want me to go get anything for you?"

"It's nice to hear a change in question." I joke softly, laughing ever so slightly. Freddy raises his eyebrow and I nod. "Yes, could you grab a cold water bottle?"

"Of course Summer, I'll be right back." And with that he left the room, leaving me alone. Another tear slips down my cheek. Why did this have to happen to me?  I think of the evening at Bentley's and cringe. I would have to keep reliving it for everyone, until they got the information they needed. All the while remain strong and resilient.

"Summer?" I hear a rasp come from the door. My eyes dart up to see Asher.

"Asher." I say surprised, as I quickly hide my face, along with my red, puffy eyes.

"There's no need to hide your face Summer, you look gorgeous." Gulping I remove my hands and look up at him. He is now kneeling in front of me. Did he really still think I was gorgeous, after everything I had gone through.

"Asher, why are you here?" I ask, dreading the answer.

"Because I like you Summer. And I want you to know that all of this doesn't change my mind about you, one bit." I stare at him, my jaw hanging open.

"Really?" I squeak, my heart picking up pace. He nods, and looks me straight in the eyes.

"Nothing would change my mind about you Summer." I gasp, a huge smile spreading across my face.

"I think you might be the only one to say that after all this." I sigh, gesturing to me with my hands. Asher smiles and tucks a piece of stray hair behind my ear. His eyes stare straight into me eyes. His stare is so penetrating, it's one of those stares that tears you apart, in a good way.

"Hey, do you guys want me to come back latter?" I hear Freddy's voice poke a hole in our connection,

"No, your good," I stammer. "Asher was just leaving."

"Bye Freddy." Asher smiles, kissing my forehead. I jerk back surprised as he turns and walks away.

"Bye Asher." Freddy seethes with poison in his voice.