Chapter 24 - Kill to save

Start from the beginning

“The wards have been degrading for years! I’ve researched it. They were never intended to last forever! That is no fault of Sentinel Skye, merely a coincidence!” The frustration leaked into Tayne’s voice. From the corner of her eye, Skye noted his right thumb fidgeting with a signet ring. He took a deep breath before continuing.

“Skye is the first one since their downfall that stands a chance against the corruption, majesty,” Tayne said as he regained his composure. “She has been nothing but loyal. I do not understand the reason for your... concern.”

Skye found herself wondering why Tayne was so opposed to her undergoing this trial. Was it a question of honour, or something deeper? Did the Silverborn leader not trust the queen? Or worse, she thought. Did Tayne not trust her? Did he think the mark had actually--

“It is my concern when Alguarde’s citizens are threatened. You of all people should know this.”

The Queen’s dark eyes switched between Tayne and Skye slowly. The skin on Skye’s neck tingled. She had the distinct sense that a trap was about to be sprung. The feeling that she was being backed into a corner was growing by the minute.

Alice lowered her voice. “You can claim, Tayne of the Silverborn, that she is pure but the truth remains. She has been marked. I will not be satisfied until she is proven free of the corruptions taint, and her loyalty to us,” she said firmly. “The Sentinel must prove herself.”

Tayne glanced at the King for support. Skye saw the man’s eyes deliberately shift. Tayne’s mouth set into a hard line. He took in a breath to object, but Skye beat him to it.

“I will take the trial of soul, if it will allay your concerns, majesty,” said Skye.

At the unexpected words and completely focussed now on Tayne, the Queen flinched.. Alice regained her composure quickly, folding the sceptre under her hands once more. “It shall, Sentinel. I thank you for your co-operation,” she said.

Skye didn’t miss the smile playing at the edge of the woman’s lips as the words left her mouth.

*+*+*+*

 Skye strained her ears to catch Wrain’s words.

“The chalice is the key to the trial of soul. You must remain steadfast, despite what happens. Do you understand?”

He whispered with an urgent need, as if the entire world depended on the silver cup sitting in the small, ornate tabernacle before her now.

I suppose it does, thought Skye. If I fail this, they’ll exile me from Alguarde.

It was one thing she didn’t want to think about. If she failed, the Sentinel lurking outside the borders would capture her, and... She shuddered, dispelling the thoughts from her mind. She couldn’t take another shadow flame like that, let alone hundreds.

“What exactly does it do?” asked Skye.

“It’s a trial. It has two parts. The first tests your strength of soul - if you meet the requirements of the cup, it will fill with a silver liquid. For the second part, you must consume all the liquid. It will show you something, and you must overcome its trial. It is completely mental,” he added, noting the way she reached for her sword.

“Trial?”

Wrain shook his head slightly. He moved his fingers around the locking mechanism, never actually touching it. He was stalling, Skye realised.

“I don’t know what it will be. After you come out, it wipes all memory of the trial from you,” he said. Wrain glanced down at her. “I will remain next to you, whatever happens. All I can offer is this advice. Do not doubt yourself. You are stronger than you know, Skye. This test is something that many are afraid of, once they learn of the consequences.”