Chapter 4 - Fight for It

Dedicated to Bababoey2u ~ You're the best derpy dragon around. 

—-

Chapter 4 - Fight for it

—-

The darkness hung over Skye like a blanket, and it felt like the only thing keeping her together.

Unable to see the mark on her shoulder, only feel its rhythmic throbbing as her heart fed it blood, her thoughts spiralled out of control. Her imagination told her the coin sized mark was spreading, pulsing, pushing, sending roots out over her skin to claim new territory while she lay on the ground helpless to fight against it with anything but willpower. 

Is this how demons are formed? Skye curled tighter, like it'd somehow slow the process. Is a mortal marked, and their body is slowly claimed by the corruption? Will I feel it inside my soul? 

Her body wouldn't stop shaking. Sweat coated her limbs from the exertion it forced on her. In Skye's mind, the mark would flare, sending its power through her body until a secondary, chilling wave like before pushed it back. The process, what she assumed was her body fighting back, was a constant war inside her and one she refused to lose. 

The corruption will not take me because I got upset over a flower. Another shiver gripped her, causing her to nearly bite her tongue. A flower, Skye. It's a damned plant!

She steadied herself with breaths, furious that she hadn't taken the chances to free her soul from her body before this had happened. Her first chance had been when she broke free and killed a group of her guards, turning the sword on them instead of herself in the futile hope of freedom. Her last chance had been the lake. It'd almost claimed her, but it hadn't been good enough. 

But without a tainted there in front of her, she hadn't been able to do it. The other elves would be relying on her to do so to keep their location safe. The corruption could break anyone. It'd broken the Sentinels, and it'd break her. It only needed time. 

I will not give in. A wave wracked her body. Skye grit her teeth. I will not betray them. I will not be who they say I am. 

What felt like an eternity later, Skye heard voices approaching her door outside. She pricked her ears, trying to catch their conversation. 

"The fact that the Master's here is enough," said one voice. "It might be easy for him to travel inside a shadow cycle, but outside of it—not including the spike he used to get here—he's just like the rest of us."

Another scoffed. "I didn't realise you were the expert on shadow Sentinels."

"Um, well." The first gave an awkward cough before continuing. "Either way, the fact that he used the spike in shadow ether to get here means this elf's important. He's never bothered coming here before now and he wouldn't have left the Citadel if she wasn't."

A third voice entered the fray. "Let's just get the elf to the Commander before he decides to turn that blade of his on us instead of her, yeh?"

The lock on the reinforced door opened with a click. Light streamed through the gap, forcing Skye to squint or be blinded. She backed herself into the corner, fingers curled into fists against the ground. She waited for them to swarm her, pin her down like they usually did but only two guards entered the room. The other three stayed outside, continuing to speak amongst themselves. 

"The Commander's a piece of work, even by our standards. Tries too hard to be the Master, if you ask me."

"Heh. What's the theory on him? Master tried to turn him tainted but something went wrong?"