Chapter 3: Encounter

Start from the beginning

"So, you stopped us to save our lives?" The man with hair covering one eye asked.

"Yes, and we plan to help you get past the gate. You're going to need all the help you can get." Diana said placing a hand on her hip.

"Why should we trust you?" The girl took a step towards them and her hand changed. It resembles a claw from a werewolf and a dark aura resonated from the limb.

"I see we have no choice. Ready yourself, Diana," Eizen said. Diana took out her book without a second thought and took a fighting stance. Without another word, their battle began.

Diana used her powers to knock away the malak boy even though she felt bad to do that to him before the black haired woman tried to attack her but Eizen used one of his earth Artes to force her back. The battle was intense even though Diana knew this was only a test for the newcomers if they were worthy to join the Aifread crew, so Eizen didn't use his full strength like she did to not reveal their potential. After a while, Eizen and Diana stopped as they were satisfied and took away their weapons.

"You pass the test. Join us." Eizen offered as their opponents sheathed their weapons.

"Well, aren't you the impudent one?" The woman asked.

"Says the daemon who torched Hellawes." Diana pointed out. After sailing away from the snow covered land they had gotten information rather quickly that there was a daemon that caught the whole village in flames in a matter of seconds.

"You knew about that?" The woman asked a bit shocked even though it didn't show on her face.

"I hope you realize we're doing you a favor." Eizen told the group. "Just like she explained. If you'd stayed on that course, you would've smashed right up against the Gate of Vortigern."

"You're heading for Midgand, aren't you?" Benwick guessed. "That means gonna have to go through the narrows up ahead. But the kingdom has a massive fortress there built to defend them... With a tremendous gate." The woman began to think about it.

"If that is true, we're in your debt." The daemon man said grateful.

"We desire to pass through as well, but we lack the strength. I propose we form a partnership." Eizen requested.

"We might be Malakhim but we can't just rely on our abilities in combat." Diana explained further.

"I'd be a fool to blindly trust the words of a few pirates." The woman responded.

"It's up to you if you accept. But that's okay if you don't want to. You should look at the gate for yourself. We won't stop you. We'll even throw you a nice funeral, if you like." Eizen said before walking forwards them with Diana by his side, the small group thought they would be attacked again before they figured it out.

"So what? We're allowed to refuse?" The witch asked confused and Diana turned around.

"It's your call." She answered simply.

"Your business is your business, and ours is ours. There's nothing more to say." Eizen continued. Benwick ran over to them quickly.

"But First Mate! Y-You can't go alone! We'll come with you!" He said.

"You'll only get in the way. Stick to the plan and focus on your duties aboard the Van Eltia." Eizen replied before continuing forward.

"Don't worry, Benwick. I'll look after him." Diana assured him before following the earth malak.

"Be careful." Benwick said as he watched the malak girl climbing up the vines to follow Eizen.

When she reached the top, Diana took a glance at her friends before going inside the very tunnel. She hadn't seen anything so beautiful and peaceful since her rescue from her old master but daemons was in the cave too which was nothing she couldn't handle on her own thanks to being around the pirate crew and Eizen's curse. It didn't take long before she found the earth malak.