C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N

Start from the beginning

“Actually,” He smirks, “Kieran and I were going shopping and we were wondering whether you wanted to come out. Gabriel’s got a day in the office so there’s no chance he’ll find us, either.”

“I’d love to.”

Chris turns to me, his face full of anger, “But today was my day.”

“You live with me Chris,” And it’s then when I laugh, seeing the irony in the situation. The two with the same nickname, it just spelt different, are stood there chest to chest. “I’ll see you this afternoon,” Then spinning back to Kris, I state, “Just let me get changed, yeah?”

Kristen steps forward, towards me, and away from Chris, “Unless you want to go out like that.”

And I just laugh; turn to walk back inside, and do just that, leaving the two to kill themselves if they need be.

“I don’t care,” Kieran pauses, and I press myself further into the wall. I know it’s wrong to be doing this, but when Kris went to get lunch, and Kieran got a phone call, I couldn’t help but listen in. And what he’s been saying has kind of confused me even more. “It’s just not working.”

There’s a long pause, and then, “I know, I know. But she’s never alone. There’s always someone there with her.”

“I know, I know, I’m trying,” He pauses again, “I promise by the end of the week I’ll have something useful. I know. I am too.”

There’s no noise, and it’s only when I see Kieran start to turn the corner I’m pressed against, I realise he must now be off the phone and heading back to find Kris and me. I don’t move though, because doing that could make this a whole lot worse. Maybe if I had my phone I could pretend I was playing a game and waiting casually, or calling someone for myself, but I don’t, and I can’t. And I’m a rubbish liar anyway. It would all just backfire. And I’ve had enough of backfiring recently.

His eyes turn angry, “Were you listening in?”

Caught red handed, it seems then. And before I can stop them, the words, “You’re a rogue, I know your game,” seem to have already slipped out my mouth.

“Not a rogue anymore, remember,” He pauses, and he doesn’t sound convincing when he says, “I set my alliance with Gabriel.”

I raise my eyebrows, “I heard you on the phone.”

“Yeah, well, I’m sorry to tell you this, but that was my mum.”

“That didn’t sound like a conversation you’d have with said parent, Kieran.”

He takes a step forward, and towards where I’m stood. “Well, we’ve never been close.”

“What would your Alpha say if he saw you were threatening his mate?”

Kieran steps back and looks at me with an annoyed glare, but smiles anyway. There’s something about him that I just don’t like, but I’m not planning on telling anyone; not yet. I’m going to find out, make myself useful, because with the threat of the hunters about, and now possibly the rogues too, I don’t want to set unnecessary worry into anyone’s heads. No, I was going to find out, and then in the end it’s going to be the fat, pregnant girl who saved the day.

“You don’t care of that fact, Ellie.”

I pause, and then smile, “But I’m pretty sure Gabriel would.”

“You can’t tell anyone,” He sighs, and then repeats, “You can’t tell anyone.”

“Tell anyone what?”

He sends me a warning glance, “I can’t tell you. But you’ve got to trust me.”

“That’s the thing,” I look around, and finally spot Kristen heading our way. It took him long enough. “I don’t trust you, Kieran.”

“You need to.”

Kristen waves, I wave back. Kieran doesn’t move his glare from me, or his hands from where they’re fisted at his side. Though I’m not scared of him; no, scared is the least thing I’m of him right now. Wary has got to be the correct word to use, because there is something about him that’s off, something that only I’ve succeeded on picking up too, it seems.

“Well, I don’t."