C H A P T E R N I N E

“When I say run, you run, okay?”

I nod, and then only two seconds later he says, “Run.”

I don’t move, staying in the exact same position I was in before, behind the tree I bet doesn’t even hide the both of us properly. It’s not like, even if I’m still angry with Gabriel, I’m going to leave him here on his own. That’s just stupid. I don’t want him dead; I just want to teach him a lesson. A well deserved lesson that he really needs to be taught.

“Why the hell didn’t you run?”

I pause, and smirk, “I didn’t quite understand your instructions.”

“Well let me put it this way,” He leans down to whisper in my ear, and a shiver runs down my spine. “I’m trying really hard to stay here and not go wolf, right now, okay? I really want to just go rip that guy’s head off for being in a hundred miles radius of you, but I can’t because that will leave you unprotected and unsafe. So, when I say run, you run. And I will be following right behind you. Do you understand?”

“Yes,” I whisper back, not able to speak any louder. I don’t know why. It’s not like I like Gabriel being this close. No, I actually hate it. It’s horrible, and he’s invading my personal space. You just keep telling yourself that, my thoughts say, and I scoff. Of course I don’t feel like that, I don’t like Gabriel, so I can’t.

“Good,” He steps away from me so I have no excuse to get out of here. He points to the left, and says, “Run.”

I start to waddle as fast I can in the direction he’s pointing, but I know I’m making too much noise for how slow I’m going. I feel Gabriel behind me, and I know he’s thinking the same. I feel him close to me, pushing me to go faster, but I can’t. I feel like I’m going to fall flat on my face, and that won’t be good. Not whilst pregnant. Gabriel pushes me to go faster, but this time I’m both running as fast as I can, and tired as hell.

“Don’t be scared.” I hear a voice behind me, and then suddenly I’m being lifted up and into someone’s arms. “You just weren’t going fast enough.”

I look behind us, as I sit comfortable in Gabriel’s arms, and squirm around, wondering whether he finds me heavy.  But he’s carrying me like I weigh nothing, so I don’t ask. Hopefully it’s not too much of a problem. The hunters nowhere in sight, and I hope we got away from him. All we have to do is alert both packs, and wait, getting rid of any we can, when we can.

“Well,” I smirk up at him, but he’s not looking down at me. He’s looking at the part of the woods that I can now see the road through. “I’m sorry about that. Next time, I’ll try not to be pregnant.”

I close my eyes, and try not to fall asleep. Just as I’m about to drift off, my heart beat matching Gabriel’s without me realising, I hear him mumble, “Not if I can help it,” but don’t say anything, choosing to just leave him be. Anyway, it will be a long time until I’m even considering being pregnant again.

I wake up with a familiar scent around me, but not one I was expecting to smell. I sit up in Gabriel’s bed, and look out the window. It’s dark, pitch black, stating it’s the night, but there’s a small lamp on in the room, so I can see perfectly. I swing my legs off the edge of the bed, and stand whilst stretching. Walking towards the door, I hum the theme tune of a song. It’s like I can remember the way around Gabriel’s house, because soon enough, I’ve found my way back into the kitchen, and I’m personally thanking just about everyone, including God, that it’s empty. I head towards the fridge, hungry and not caring that I’m stealing the enemy packs food. They are the enemy pack after all.