C H A P T E R S I X

“You’re early.” Gabriel smirks at me, his eyes bright with something. To be honest, as soon as I opened the door, his whole face started to light up. And now, as he stands on one side of the door, and me on the other, his posture is relaxed and even though I don’t want to admit it, so is mine. “We don’t have the appointment until another three hours.”

I would’ve forgiven him, if he hadn’t of known. But I had told uncle Rich to phone Gabriel up last night and tell him so that he wouldn’t get it wrong. The message to Gabriel clearly stated for him not to arrive until ten minutes before, because the doctor’s house is only down the street, and she told me to go to hers and not the hospital because it’s closer.

“I know.”

I pause, and then awkwardly say, “Okay.”

“So...”

“Ellie,” I hear my name being called by someone who sounds suspiciously like Uncle Rich. I suppose, at least it’s not Chris. Now that would be bad. “Who is it at the door?”

But before I can answer Uncle Rich appears around the corner of the hallway. His expression makes me laugh, a small smile appearing on his lips when he sees me and Gabriel. A confused expression crosses my face. I don’t have a clue why he’d be smiling. It’s stupid. It’s like he’s actually happy to see the two of us together.

“Gabriel,” He says. His tone’s with warning, but his voice is warm like it is when he would talk to me. “It’s so good to see you again.”

Gabriel pauses, and then with reluctance, says, “You too, Alpha Grayson.”

“Gabriel,” I turn to the boy still stood on the other side of the door, and smile. “I would invite you in, but-“

“Of course, come on in Gabriel. You’re pretty early, but Ellie can give you a tour of the house or something.” Then with a different tone, he says, “I’ll tell everyone you’re here. There shouldn’t be any trouble. But if there is, I’m sorry in advance.”

Gabriel nods in a future Alpha way, full with power, and then Uncle Rich walks off. I smile, and gesture for him to enter the house, with a wave of my hand. I’m surprised that I’m not as tired as I was before I came. Maybe it’s from Gabriel’s presence. After all, there are many stories about what a mate can help their partner with.

“C’mon in, welcome to the mad house.”

He takes a step over the threshold, one foot after the other, and then shuts the door behind him. I start to walk towards the kitchen without looking back at him, nor telling him to follow. I know he will. I can feel he’s slightly apprehensive about being in the enemy’s territory, but I can also feel some sort of relief coming from him too. I step in the kitchen, and am glad to find it empty, though I know it won’t be for long. There’s always someone in here. All werewolves never really become un-hungry, meaning one of the members have always got their head stuck in the fridge, eating last night’s left over’s, or whatever they can find at the time.

“This is the kitchen. The most used room in the house.” I walk over to the cupboard, and pull out a box of cereal. “You want anything to eat?”

I move around, collecting a bowl, and a spoon, and then pour myself some of the delicious carbohydrates. People often think it weird that I eat cereal dry, but I just can’t stand milk at all. It makes me throw up. I mean, who wants to drink something that came out of a cow? I definitely don’t.

“I’m good,” He says, and I turn to face him, my bowl in hand, as I lean against the counter. As an afterthought he seems to add, “Thanks, Ellie.”

I scoop a spoonful of the food in my hands into my mouth, and chew slowly, watching the boy in front of me as he looks around the room. Our kitchen is nowhere near as grand as his is. But he’s going for modern, whereas we’re going for homey. And I have to say. At the moment ours is more appealing to me than his.